Hope my cooling works

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heinz57

Reaction score
It's been ridiculously hot in LA recently, as it has been most places. The convective heat transfer of the fan isn't enough for the 25 gallons or so sitting in the closet so I've had to resort to a technique I think I remember reading about here.

I had a bunch of plastic tubs I used from toting all my "stuff" around from year to year so I just filled them up with water and froze a few of the 1 gallon apple juice containers. I have 10 or so lying around (glad I saved em). For good measure I even soaked some towels in cool tap and set them on the top of the carboys.

Here is the Blonde's new resting place:
I_hope.jpg

This is the Stout/Apfelwein combo (no not in the same carboy):
This.jpg

There is one more, but I'm pretty sure everyone gets the picture.

I have an extra question though. How often should I plan on refreshing the ice filled containers? At the time I only had one for each bucket (another container with the Hefeweizen and another batch of Apfelwein not pictured). I have the other 7 jugs in the freezer just in case they're done by morning. I don't know that I can fit two of the AJ jugs in the container at the same time, no room in the lil' closet. Regardless, it should keep them much cooler then the 80 something degrees they were at earlier today.

On the bright side it didn't get really hot until after the primary fermentation, but I'm expecting some additional fruity/estery tastes because of the high temps. Alright, I have to go design/build a solar cell, thanks for reading.

-Nick

probably only have to change them every 12-24 hours.
even when it melts, it'll take hours for that much water + beer inside the carboy to raise back up to room temperature.

With my current RyePA I have fermenting I have it down to 64-66 range with two 1/2 gal frozen jugs pressed against the carboy with the whole thing wrapped in a wet towel. My previous fermentations were around 72-74.

My tub broke :(

It looks like you've got the right idea.

Sure makes me glad that I have a basement that is 62-67 365 days a year for my fermenters. :ban:

heinz57 said:
How often should I plan on refreshing the ice filled containers?

I live in Miami and have the same problem. I use 1/2 gallon frozen bottles, and switch them out every morning, plus a few frozen cold packs from a yeast shipment. But, I rotate 3 bottles, instead of 2 because I found that with only 2, they weren't completely frozen through when I switched them out. Using 3 gives them an extra day in the freezer to get frozen solid.

On that schedule I keep it at a fairly constant 65-69.

I would say that with a full gallon ice block, you may be able to go a little longer than 1 day before switching, but doing it every morning as part of my routine helps me not forget to do it.

Hope that helps!

Yeah, I've pretty much been changing them every morning. Seems to keep the temp manageable around 68 degrees or so (WELL within limits).

Since the primary fermentation was complete before the really hot temps, I'm not supremely worried about much funkiness. Just finally at ease about the temps of everything feels good.

-Nick

Back