Managing steam and boil off.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggles

Reaction score
So this is a totally odd question, but when you lot are brewing indoors, are you using fans or anything to control the steam and boil off (~1G) during a brew?
I've been brewing outdoor on my back patio , but it's getting cold, and I'm thinking that the garage or my workshop would be better, but don't want to damage drywall or woodwork.

Yay for living in California. I brew in my garage, with the door open, and the burner about 3 feet from the opening.

If you DO brew indoors without an oven hood (a GOOD oven hood), you'll want to use something to control all of that moisture. It will peel the varnish off your cabinets, the paint off your walls, and basically screw up your house. Honestly, even an open kitchen window will help matters, but I'd look into making sure your oven hood is in good repair, and capable of handling the quantity of steam you'll be putting out.

Well, looks like I will continue to brew outdoors then. Thanks all

brew with your garage door open, you don't want to run a burner in a closed space. Steam isn't the worry, make sure you open a door or the garage door.

I've done my last 3 batches in the garage. Works pretty well, not a whole lot of steam to worry about.

Considering we run a humidifier 24/7 through the winter months, I am all for the humidity produced when brewing indoors.

The real concern is how are you producing your flame? If you're using a turkey fryer or something else using a bottle of propane, ventilation is the primary concern. If you're boiling a partial batch on the stove top, I say, "Bring on the humidity!"

P.S. I also like how the house smells for the next day or so from the indoor boil!

in Chicago we like the humidity and moisture in the air in the winter. We run humidifier all winter, and often put pots of water on the stove just to generate a little more.

i figure that my boiling pot of water is contributing to the greater good.

:)

I brew indoors without a fan or hood. It gets pretty darn humid in the apartment. I try to crack windows, but it doesn't help much. All the windows and mirrors fog up and the apartment is saturated with the smell of wort. The added moisture does help in the winter though!

I brew in my garage, with no ill effects. I have a boil off rate of almost 2 gallons per hour as well, so I'm definitely putting moisture in the air. My garage door is aluminum on the inside, so that's not a problem. If you have a good solid wood door, I would be leery of boiling right underneath of it. But, as others have said, I just open the garage door and boil about 3 feet into the garage. I've even checked the heat on the garage door and it does get warm, but I've never noticed condensation on it, nor has it ever gotten too hot to touch with a bare hand.

I have drywall on the walls and it's taped and mudded, then painted. I've never had any issues with that. Having the garage door open moves plenty of air in and out, so I really don't think you would have any issues with it. Just make sure your pot and burner are away from any walls.

Well, my first partial boil extract batches I did in the kitchen and I really did not have any huge issues. Obviously it got pretty humid in the house, but I would just open doors and windows every once in a while and it would be OK. However, I mostly brewed when on days we were heating the house anyway, so it would be pretty dry in here already. I would imagine that in the summer on a high humidity day, it would not work well at all.
Now I do all grain, so full boils and I do that on a turkey fryer burner. So I boil in the shop now.

Humidity is a concern, I live in Vancouver BC, and it's wet here, so adding more isn't desirable. It looks like it's going to be nice the next few days, so outdoors is good.

Latest posts

Back