BOTTLE BOMBS! and hitting FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdwardPaulsen

Reaction score
hi all,
i had a pilsner that finished fermentation a little high in gravity, but it didn't seem to move after a few more weeks, so i just bottled it thinking that maybe i had mashed a little high or something...
it tasted great and we've been happily drinking them...
until!
i noticed one had burst in the case in the closet (it was in a grolsch style bottle too) and after opening a few i realized they were all SUPER SUPER carbonated!
i primed normally,
all i can think is that this beer had NOT reached it's FG even though it hadn't moved in a while...and adding the priming sugar encouraged it to finish up in the bottle.
i guess my question is,
if you have an FG that is higher than you anticipated (than 75% attenuated let's say) should you be looking for a way to lower it even if it seems stuck?
krausening?

:) :)

It is quite possible that your FG wasn't quite low enough, in which case you could:
- rouse the yeast
- add more yeast
- rack onto yeast cake
- add nutrient
- scream at it
- add BeanO (bad idea unless you like bone-dry beer)

But there's always the possibility of an in-bottle infection; it will eat everything even remotely fermentable.

Back