Whats the diff between these two yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuel

Reaction score
What the difference between lalvin 1118 saccharomyces cerevisiae and lalvin 1118 saccharomyces bayanus if anyone know

Thanks

To my knowledge there is only ONE Lalvin 1118 wine yeast and that is EC1118, Saccharomyces bayanus.
They offer other wine yeast strains that are derived from Saccharomyces cerevisiae, such as D47, K1-V1116, 71B-1122, and Bourgovin RC 212.

Visit their website for information of their wine yeasts: http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp

I also think there is only one, but I have seen it sold twice in the same online store as both a cider yeast and a champagne yeast so who knows... Do you have pics or links to the two types? What made you think both existed?

Insomniac said:
I also think there is only one, but I have seen it sold twice in the same online store as both a cider yeast and a champagne yeast so who knows... Do you have pics or links to the two types? What made you think both existed?

I bought the lalvin 1118 bayanus and they sended me those two

I'm guessing one is mislabeled. Champagne yeast is Saccharomyces bayanus. So either the one labeled S. cerevisiae is actually S. bayanus or it is not champagne yeast.

JLem said:
I'm guessing one is mislabeled. Champagne yeast is Saccharomyces bayanus. So either the one labeled S. cerevisiae is actually S. bayanus or it is not champagne yeast.

Ok thanks

Back