Bottle harvested Pacman starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravity84

Reaction score
I have about 700 ml of Pacman starter in a flask that I harvested from two bottles of Rogue Chocolate Stout last week. There is about 1/4" of sediment on the bottom, do you guys think that is enough to pitch into a 5 gallon 1.065 SG IPA? My LBS said that it was already way more than a vial of White Labs, so it's probably fine, but the worrier in me is doubtful. Assuage my fears :/

Edit:
I'm playing with the idea of decanting off 300 ml and feeding 400 ml of wort, placing the starter in a warm water bath (~76F) to encourage growth, and pitching sometime early this morning, say 3 AM (~ 6h from now). Am I just tripping myself up? Am I over thinking this?

I made a Pacman starter from the chocolate stout. Took about a week, fed it every couple days, but it was quite viable. I'd say it was maybe a wee bit more than a 1/4". You're probably fine. When you swirl it around in the flask can you hear it? My starters make little a little ssss or fizzy noise when I swirl it around (flask covered in foil).

Again, you're probably going to be fine. Worst case scenario? Pick up some spare yeast in case it's extra slow and/or doesn't start.

It was definitely active once it started. I got a good half inch of krausen about 3 days after I started it. It's been about 5 days, the krausen is all but dissipated now, a small bubble ring is still there and I can still see a few bubbles rising along the sides of the flask.

Back