IPA didnt Attenuate all the way

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klamz

Reaction score
This is a first for me. I made an AG IPA last Saturday and its final gravity was 1.033 OG was 1.070. I mashed at 149 degrees for 75 minutes. Pitched a 2ml starter of WLP001 Cali. I know my measuring instruments arent off because the beer is thick N' sweet like it would be if it was a high FG. Only thing i could think of is the mash. I did some salt additions and may have gotten some low PH around 5.1 but this shouldnt affect types of sugars extracted right? only efficiency?? my efficiency was pretty much normal around 75% like I targeted. All my other procedures were the same and I never had a problem. Beer taste great otherwise!!

I also should mention that my volume target was 5 gal. i messed up somewhere and got 4.5 after the boil so OG was supposed to be somewhere around 1.067 for 5gal. I added a little baking soda, gypsum and Ph buffer to the mash and some more gypsum to the boil. These were the only differences to my procedures. Any ideas??

Thanks!!

Klamz

Also my Sparge water may have been on the low side like 165f and not sure of the PH of it either because I added some salts to that as well.

I fermented at 69f and its still in the fermentor. I'm leaving it for another week for dryhopping so hope it continues to ferment. This is quite possible that the thermometer screwed up. I'm actually going to check this out now. Thanks

Only 11 pounds of grain? And you got an OG of 1.070? Your efficiency is much better than mine! I would have got about 1.060 with 11 pounds of grain.

Anyway, my bet is now on the thermometer. I'd check it at boiling water temperature, and at freezing temperature to see if it's off. If you have a lab thermometer, or another reliable thermometer, check them against each other.

Only 11 pounds of grain? And you got an OG of 1.070? Your efficiency is much better than mine! I would have got about 1.060 with 11 pounds of grain.

Anyway, my bet is now on the thermometer. I'd check it at boiling water temperature, and at freezing temperature to see if it's off. If you have a lab thermometer, or another reliable thermometer, check them against each other.

no dont forget it was 4.5gallon if it was 5 it would have been more like 1.066

Sorry it wasn't much help. You could make another batch, have it get over 80% attenuation by cutting some malt and adding some sugar, mash it at 149, and then blend the finished beer if the first one stays too cloyingly sweet for you.

Otherwise, I got nothin'.

Thanks again yooper for the advice i appreciate it. I'll probably just try and drink it and do the recipe again. This is an original recipe anyway so its more of an experiment to see how it tastes.

Latest posts

Back