what to do with my 5 litre Grolsch bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete2321

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've managed to get my hands on a 5 litre glass grolsch bottle. At first I thought it would be good to fill with home brew and have for Chrissy or some other special occation but then I thought it could be worth something and I'd be wrecking it if I broke the seal and started using it.
I've been looking on the net and can't find any trace of another one to be able to place a value on it so I was hoping someone on this site would be able to help me out.
Has anyone seen one of these before and should i keep it safe and intact or crack the seal and fill it up?
I've tried to attatch a photo to show you all but couldn't work it out sorry..

Cheers,
pete

ammendment. the bottle was a promotional item i think. it is empty but slealed with the sticker, unbroken, over the lid. Just like a new unopened bottle.

huh? so its has been opened and the seal broken the beer drank and then just reclosed?
well mate thats not exactly virginal is it?

just flip the lid and put some fancy brew in there.

Nah mate, It's as virginal as they come..

It was made empty as a promotional item and sealed with the sticker over the metal bit you lift up to open the lid and has now, still empty and sealed withe the sticker unbroken, fallen into my hands.

What do you recken? Tear the sticker off and pour in some brew or keep it the beautiful virgin she is, just the way Grolsch intended?

hum thats a hard one.
that one is your call.
I mean would you sale it?
if you have no plan to ever sale it
it would make a cool growler

that thing must be huge! i looked on line could not even find a picture
man i miss Grolsch some times i cant get it anymore
because of dumb beer laws, here 6 point is sold warm in the liqure store
and bud will not ship or display warm beer , and thay are the middle man for Grolsch here :(

that's gotta suck. Most beer laws are dumb I reckon...

The bottle is pretty damn big. It's about 2 foot tall and 4-5 inches across. I'd post a picture of it on here but don't think i can.
Maybe i'll make it my profile pic?

I Know the magnums at 1.5 liters held pressure. But i don't know about a 5 liter??? It may be a non functional bottle as far as storing beer in. But i'm not 100% about that.

Really don't mean to necro this thread, but I found one of these today. Mine was already opened, so the paper seal was broken. The bottle seal seems really tight, though, so I want to naturally carbonate some beer in the thing. Objections?

The guys bought me a bottle of Arrogant Bastard that big for my bachelor party. It held the pressure.... hey, you don't think they were trying to tell me something do you??

I have two of the 5 L Grolsch bottles and one Arrogant Bastard. They're great for brewing special-occasion beers, as they'll hold an entire 12-pack worth of beer.

And for what it's worth I don't think the Grolsch ones are particularly rare. I've seen them in a liquor store a few times, generally around the holidays.

Here's a picture of the thing next to a normal Grolsch bottle for comparison.

fiveliters.jpg

Back