What am I doing wrong?? Or am I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alee

Reaction score
:confused::confused:Just made my 4th batch of extract brew with added crystal malt and hops (some pellets and some whole both in bags). I crush the grain slightly with a rolling pin while in a ziploc bag, then put the grain in a grain bag.
I add gypsum to the water at the start (2tsp) and Irish moss (1tsp) for the last 15 minutes. For some reason, I get a really cloudy wort with a lot of flocculated light colored stuff. I cool down to 100deg after stirring and allow it to sit for a while before racking to a six gal carboy. It is impossible for me to rack without getting the flocculated stuff in my carboy. I am letting this batch settle and there's already about 2 inches of sediment. I'm going to try to re-rack it to another clean carboy and hopefully leave some of this behind.
Is this normal or am I doing something drastically wrong. Does anyone else have the same issue, or do you just ferment with the sediment in there?
Thanks,
ALee

Totally normal. That's "cold break," mostly coagulated protein. It will drop to the bottom of the fermenter before the yeast even. If you didn't use Irish moss, a lot of that protein would stay in suspension and leave your beer hazy.

When you're going for that last 2% of beer awesomeness, maybe you should rack off the trub, or whirlpool, but it doesn't really hurt.

Back