Bits lying in the bottle neck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobJ

Reaction score
I all,
I've just noticed that some of my bottled beer have got bits of something gloating in the bottle neck, any ideas wot this could be, cheers

They are gloating because they are in the beer and you are not!

kraeusen/yeast? Maybe an infection. If it tastes OK, you are fine; it won't kill you.

I've seen this before. It is not the priming sugar I can tell you. It drops to the bottom very quickly.

It is an infection! Usually, it appears quite late in the process. So probably you bottled quickly ( 2-3 weeks) and it appeared only in bottles. Don't throw your batch away. Not yet. Wait to see if a crust forms on the top or if the infection stops. The taste of the beer might not be altered.

I've seen this before. It is not the priming sugar I can tell you. It drops to the bottom very quickly.

It is an infection! Usually, it appears quite late in the process. So probably you bottled quickly ( 2-3 weeks) and it appeared only in bottles. Don't throw your batch away. Not yet. Wait to see if a crust forms on the top or if the infection stops. The taste of the beer might not be altered.

Stop. Just stop. Please don't tell someone they have an infection until you receive more information. Posting a simple statement like that may lead to others worrying needlessly. We need more information to accurately assess the situation and provide an informed answer.

Thanks, I've done 2 batches of coopers and one porters ale, all 3 seem to have the same funny aftertaste, it's not really bad but just funny. I used tap water so maybe that has something to do with it, I sanitised over the top and my temp control was perfect to the instructions. I made an insulated cupboard with a heater and a room stat, like a hot box and it was a doddle to control the temp, duno if this is ok or not as there's little to no ventilation? Back to the bits in some of the bottles because of the funny taste I havnt been drinking them so thinking about scrapping the lot and moving on, any suggestions on where I've gone wrong with the funny aftertaste wen the look and smell great? Cheers

It could be anything really. You should consider revising your whole process. It might be coming from a fly, to exposure to oxygen, to a bad sanitized tool. Sometimes, waiting is the way to go. Don't throw them away.

If you get sick or stomach aches after drinking one beer, you know what to do lol

Cheers matho
Do u know of any treatments I could get for the water of do u think bottled water is the best , cheers

Save it for the people you don't like, or thinks nothing can be better than BMC beers? :p

Haha! Good call!

Also, bottled water could be a solution. It will work just fine. I find the easiest way and cheapest way is to boil the water you use. Maybe check if your town water is okay to brew with (concentration of chlorine and others). If you are not sure, well 4$ for 20ish L of water is not very expensive :)

Sorry for a double post. Try a bleach solution and put all your equipment inside (could use a bath). Leave it for a couple hours then rinse well and sanitize when you will be using it. Some say to change all the tubings when you get an infection. I don't personally see the point..

Thanks, I've done 2 batches of coopers and one porters ale, all 3 seem to have the same funny aftertaste, it's not really bad but just funny. I used tap water so maybe that has something to do with it, I sanitised over the top and my temp control was perfect to the instructions. I made an insulated cupboard with a heater and a room stat, like a hot box and it was a doddle to control the temp, duno if this is ok or not as there's little to no ventilation? Back to the bits in some of the bottles because of the funny taste I havnt been drinking them so thinking about scrapping the lot and moving on, any suggestions on where I've gone wrong with the funny aftertaste wen the look and smell great? Cheers

I had a funny aftertaste with my first beer that I attribute to esters from fermenting too high. I pitched my yeast about 15 degrees higher than the instructions (newbie mistake) called for, but part of it was that the kit instructions called for fermentation 10 degrees higher than the ideal fermenting temps for the yeast in question (S-04 at 74 degrees). Just because you followed the kit instructions to a letter doesn't mean the kit instructions were designed to give you optimal results.

If you get sick or stomach aches after drinking one beer, you know what to do lol

There are no known pathogens that can exist in beer. You will only get sick if you drink too much alcohol.

Do u know of any treatments I could get for the water of do u think bottled water is the best , cheers

Try a batch with bottled water (NOT distilled), and see if there is a difference in the taste.

Had a few of my coopers Canadian blonde last night and they where cracking, they've been conditioning for about 7 months or more, the first batch I done was a coopers European lager but I fermented too high a temp, never read the instructions properly, so that still has a funny after taste, I'll crack on and c wot happens. The bits floating in the bottle was actually just that one that's why I havnt posted a pic..... Happy days ;-)

Back