is this illegal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Retrofit said:
I think selling wort is a brilliant idea. "Take this sweet water home and dump this vial in it. That'll be $50 sir!"

I think I've heard of a homebrew shops that does this, but it may have been the australian shop that advertises on the brewing network....

good luck getting that argument past a judge.
If your logic worked in a legal setting, no one would ever get busted for prostitution. "you see, sir, she just happened to want to have sex with me, and I just happened to want to make a donation to her college fund!"

Sounds like a good idea to me!
I'm not planning on trying to take donations for home brew. Just kind of playing devil's advocate. I think as long as you aren't being a total idiot about it no one's going to come knocking down your door and dragging you off to prison.

gauzzastrip said:
Sounds like a good idea to me!
I'm not planning on trying to take donations for home brew. Just kind of playing devil's advocate. I think as long as you aren't being a total idiot about it no one's going to come knocking down your door and dragging you off to prison.

I agree no one is going to be knocking down your door. Just saying that if they do, the donation argument isn't going to hold up. :D

selling wort and yeast is what every lhbs does. the wort generally is concentrated down to a syrup or powder, though it doesn't have to be.

what they don't sell are fermented beverages containing alcohol, however.

Same thing as far as the ATF and IRS are concerned. What he's doing is definitely illegal.

BTW, if you have a question about this, email Gary Glass at the AHA. He knows more about homebrew laws than all of us put together.

I really don't care, since I'm not planning on trying to barter my beer for anything, and if I was, I wouldn't post an ad on Craigslist. And even if I did, I wouldn't expect the ATF to beat down my door over it.

I'm sure this guy was loaded when he posted this ad. Probably sounded like win win at the time. And what type of person would actually take him up on it? Yeah I want to drink some foreign liquid made by some random weird dude on craigslist.:cross:

My LHBS gives out samples in the back, I buy their supplies, am I therefore paying for the homebrew samples?

There is a difference here. The samples are in fact free. You bought food products from them, not beer. Most Federal Laws don't prohibit giving away alcoholic products to someone over 21.

Trade or sales, they do.

Now, had your LHBS been taking HomeBrew in trade for supplies tehre would be a different issue.

I think selling wort is a brilliant idea. "Take this sweet water home and dump this vial in it. That'll be $50 sir!"

I suspect it's illegal and it's so small no one cares so like the guy said that it'll be flagged. That'll be the end of it. I can't see the ATF setting up a sting for this.

On the topic of an all powerful and oppressive government, my neighbor is trying to get a security clearance and the FBI had to hand deliver a letter to my house (requesting an interview) because they can't find my phone number!!!!!

With that in mind, I just have a hard time seeing SWAT taking this guy to jail.

It's not illeagal to sell Malta Goya, or Liquid Malt concentrate. No alcohol, you see the difference? However, the Health Deapartment would regulate the storage of those products.

selling wort and yeast is what every lhbs does. the wort generally is concentrated down to a syrup or powder, though it doesn't have to be.

what they don't sell are fermented beverages containing alcohol, however.

Yep.

Back