Proposed Alfalfa Honey Rye recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MizooBrew

Reaction score
This will be one of the first recipes I have put together on my own; I have previously been brewing recipes from this site and from Brewing Classic Styles. This recipe is loosely based upon the American Rye recipe in BCS, and I would love some feedback before I brew this.

Alfalfa Honey Rye
Anticipated OG- 1.054
Anticipated FG- 1.012
Anticipated attenuation- 77%
IBUs- 20.3
60 min boil
6.5 gal preboil, 5.5 gal batch size
Mash @ 152F for ~60 min

5.0 lb American 2-row
2.5 lb American wheat
3.3 lb Rye malt
1.0 lb Alfalfa Honey (added at 10 min)

1.0 oz Willamette (5.0%), 60 min
0.30 oz Centennial (9.0%), flameout

Wyeast 1010 American Wheat

I wanted to brew an American rye with some honey, and I so happened to have some alfalfa honey sitting around. For those that aren't familiar with this variety, it is a fairly light honey with a mild spiciness I hope will go very well with the spiciness of the rye. Suggestions for alternative to my hop choices are welcome, as there might be some that would go better with the alfalfa and rye spicinesss. May also consider adding the alfalfa honey at flameout, in order to further preserve the aroma. Could potentially also use Wyeast California Lager, just to use a clean and easy to use yeast, but this might be a mistake. Any feedback is welcome. Note that based upon these calculations, my efficiency is fairly low (~63%). I'm working on upping this, but would like to discuss my recipe formulation and not my mashing technique here. Thanks HBT!
:mug:

No responses?? Planning to brew this this weekend and would really love some feedback before I do. Soooo... BUMPED. Thanks everyone.

Looks pretty straight forward to me. How did it go? Go Cats!

Lol I should update my location, I'm actually in school in Bozeman.

As for the beer, it turned out pretty good but it wasn't my favorite thing I've ever made. Probably could've used a protein mash or something like that. Probably going to hold off brewing it again until next summer, and then I might consider using some flaked grain in addition to the grain malt to go for some added depth of flavor.

Back