Is something wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joesixpack

Reaction score
I made an IPA a few weeks ago and went to keg it last night. The brew had a bunch of green gray almost like pepper on the top i siphoned a bit into a glass and there was quit a bit of the pepper like stuff in the beer.

I found out after a few days of making the beer my air lock seal was torn and there wasn't an air tight seal. I put some gorilla tape over the seal and poked a hole for the airlock but i don't think there was ever an air tight seal.

Could the beer be contaminated? Should i keg it add co2 and see what happens or pitch it and start over with good equipment?

Thanks.

Keg it...might just be some leftover hops that floated up from co2 in suspension...odds are it's fine!

I wouldn't ever dump a batch without tasting it. Don't worry about anything until it's done (carbonated too) and you taste it. Even then, if it isn't right, give it some time. You'de be amazed how many things fix themselves with just a little time. If it's spoiled, you'll taste it. Six pack is correct, it's probably just some trub that floated to the surface.

if you really must destroy it, send it to me for proper destruction. i will return the keg to you. it's really best to just be safe about things like this and i have a state of the art, beer disposal system. i keep it just under my rib cage.

if you really must destroy it, send it to me for proper destruction. i will return the keg to you. it's really best to just be safe about things like this and i have a state of the art, beer disposal system. i keep it just under my rib cage.

:mug:

Awesome.

Latest posts

Back