malty and hoppy inspired by Short's Good Humans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannerj

Reaction score
I've been looking at the clone of Short's Good Human. Here's the deal: I've got whole leaf Chinook and Cascade that I grew in the freezer and I've got 1 oz of simcoe and 2 oz of amarillo in the fridge. I'm really into this hopped brown ale thing for the winter since I'm not a huge stout/porter dude.

I've backed off the abv because I want to use one packet of US-05 with confidence. And this is a partial mash since I don't want to go outside in December in Michigan.

Carabrown 2lb
Ashburne Mild Malt 1lb 4.8 oz
Carpils 1lb 4.8 oz
Munich 1lb 4.8
Victory 10.6 oz
80L Crystal 5.3 oz
Black Patent 2.7
4lbs LME 60 min boil
4lbs LME 15 min boil
Chinook FWH 1 oz
Simcoe .5 oz 15 min
Amarillo .5 oz flame out
Amarillo 1.5 dry hop 7 days
Simcoe .5 dry hop 7 days

1.74 SG
55.2 IBUs (I doubt it will be this high with my home grown hops)

But I wonder as I write this up if I should go with Cascade for a more mild bitterness to compliment the Amarillo/Simcoe.....

The IBU of Good Humans is only 19. I'd like to be bolder than that but still balanced.

Thoughts?

If you'd like a lot of hop profile in this one consider doing a hop stand or whirlpool hop addition to really bring out the flavor & aroma of your Amarillo & Simcoe.

Instead of a flameout addition, add your last hop(s) after your wort is done boiling and has cooled to 170. Allow them to steep while you whirlpool the wort, 20, maybe 30 minutes. It will bring up the IBUs of your early additions a tad and the hop acids of the whirlpool hops will be less volatile in the low temp wort.

I've been doing hop stands on all of my hoppy beers for the last 4 months and I've increased the flavor & aroma of my hoppy beers exponentially!

If you'd like a lot of hop profile in this one consider doing a hop stand or whirlpool hop addition to really bring out the flavor & aroma of your Amarillo & Simcoe.

Instead of a flameout addition, add your last hop(s) after your wort is done boiling and has cooled to 170. Allow them to steep while you whirlpool the wort, 20, maybe 30 minutes. It will bring up the IBUs of your early additions a tad and the hop acids of the whirlpool hops will be less volatile in the low temp wort.

I've been doing hop stands on all of my hoppy beers for the last 4 months and I've increased the flavor & aroma of my hoppy beers exponentially!

Great idea. I've been meaning to do this!

Just added a third ounce of simcoe for a shorter dry hop mostly because the simcoe I used had in the fridge for about 5 months didn't smell as robust as the simcoe I just got in the mail. The last reading was about 1.018 and it tasted incredible so I figured if everything is going this well, I better get the dry hops right. I also bottle, so I figure my dry hop always fades before the malts really condition right.

Tasted this next to the real thing. I have more dry hop aroma in mine but it is just now three weeks in the bottle. As the aroma fades, I'm hoping the malt settles in more with age. That malt is not as full an rich as the real deal. Perhaps it is also a matter of mine being extract?

I'm all setup to do AG indoors now...so I'll give that a shot. Anybody else try a good humans clon e?

Sent from my XT1049 using Home Brew mobile app

Back