Excessive head space (1 gallon in 5 gallon bucket) a problem during primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peppers16

Reaction score
Hi,
The title says most of it. I was basically thinking of doing a gallon of mead and thought it might be an idea to get the bulk of primary fermentation done in my 5 gallon bucket (therefore not having to worry about a blow-off tube etc.) before racking to secondary in a more appropriately sized carboy.

I was thinking the CO2 blanket would presumably prevent oxygenation in the first week or so, but just wanted to check. I'm a beginner who's yet to get fussy about fine taste; so as long as this is not a horrific proposition I'm not too anal about perfect method.

(I don't have piping for a blow-off tube yet)
Thanks.

I would pick up a 2 gallon bucket to use, or maybe even a 3 gallon carboy for that small a batch... IMO, 1 gallon in a 5 gallon fermentor is redonkulous...

IMO, 1 gallon in a 5 gallon fermentor is redonkulous...
Yeahhh I thought experienced brewers might cringe a bit.... But I've sunk a bit of money (for a novice anyway) into trying out this hobby so wanted to try and make do with what I have for a few brews.

As it happens, I've just realised my 5/16-bore siphon tubing might just fit the bungs for a blow-off, which I guess would be preferable all-round.

But thanks Tubba, that's reassuring. I guess the trick would be just leave it a week or more without fussing over it so as not to disturb the blanket (not that it'll be easy to waft up 4 gallons of bucket!!).

Back