Burton ale yeast... woof.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubcut

Reaction score
I had more wort than I had planned when I made my pumpkin, which is trivial now because once that burton yeast got going it blew out about a half gallon. It's been fermenting for a little less than a week, and still has a heavy krausen. When does this yeast turn off beast mode?

In my experience, it's usually after 2 - 3 days of showing me who's in charge of the fermentation, but I ferment in a 6.5g carboy with no more than 5.5g beer.

-a.

Love that strain (Wyeast 1275: Thames Valley is the equivalent); it's a definite workhorse. What is your temperature of your ferment?

Love that strain (Wyeast 1275: Thames Valley is the equivalent); it's a definite workhorse. What is your temperature of your ferment?

I was thinking of WLP023 which I've used many times. I've also used Wyeast 1275 many times, and found it to be completely different (in spite of what Jamil says).

-a.

I was thinking of WLP023 which I've used many times. I've also used Wyeast 1275 many times, and found it to be completely different (in spite of what Jamil says).

-a.

I absolutely agree. I've found thames valley to be kind of muddy or dirty while burton ale is much more fruity and estery.

I think there will always be measurable differences between WLP/WY equivalent strains, but I don't find Thames Valley to be muddy/dirty. It is less fruity/estery than Burton Ale from memory, and I'll have to do a side-by-side soon to chart out the differences more thoroughly.

Yeah, muddy/dirty is probably the wrong description. Thames valley gives the beer kind of a thick, heavy feel that seems almost flat on the palate. Perhaps earthy is a better descriptor.

Perhaps earthy is a better descriptor.

+ 1. It definitely emphasizes malt character and complexity, and for that, I really enjoy it in many of the English styles that I brew. I prefer yeast character that is lightly fruity in my bitters, browns and milds - and 1275 has never let me down. :)

I've never had out of control krausen with Burton, but I also use 6.5 gal buckets. It IS a workhorse though, it'll go the better part of a week with airlock activity less than once a minute.

I have Burton ale yeast going right now in my 12gallon carboy that had about 1.5 gallons of head space going at 66-68ºF. The first two days it was bubbling like crazy, but by day three it pushed past the stopper! Its still going strong, I just clean out the air lock every couple hours:drunk:

I've never had out of control krausen with Burton, but I also use 6.5 gal buckets. It IS a workhorse though, it'll go the better part of a week with airlock activity less than once a minute.
The only time I have a problem with it, is when brewing beers with an OG > 1.070. Unfortunately, I do that quite often. :rockin:(about 3 times per year).

-a.

Ah yes, the highest I've gone with it so far is 1.067... well that's going on 4 days and it is still off-gassing a fair amount.

About 68 degrees in my closet, pretty consistent temp. I had to hook up a blowoff tube out of the top of the bucket into a growler that filled halfway with krausen after a day. It's gone down a little, but damn is it thick. today was atleast the 5th day and its still looking like rocky road icecream.

I'm not gonna touch it, but I want to stir it so bad. The top of the krousen looks like a cake in the oven. redonkulous.

I've used WLP023 quite a bit. It's my go-to liquid strain for bitters. It will eventually fall. On some occasions, it didn't fall fully until the 3 week mark... and I don't think I've ever used it over 1.040, maybe once.

Hmmm, Saturday is the two week mark for my holiday porter and I was going to rack to secondary... but maybe I should wait? I use buckets for primary, so I can't see inside it to know if I still have a krausen. I just wanted to get this one off the trub since there are some spices in there from the boil and I figured it may be a good idea to try to leave some of that behind.

Hmmm, Saturday is the two week mark for my holiday porter and I was going to rack to secondary... but maybe I should wait? I use buckets for primary, so I can't see inside it to know if I still have a krausen. I just wanted to get this one off the trub since there are some spices in there from the boil and I figured it may be a good idea to try to leave some of that behind.

Checked out your holiday ale thread and that recipe looks pretty darn good. Reminds me of a maple porter I did a couple months ago. Two weeks though eh? Damn, I can see mine taking that long myself, I'm a little less reserved about opening the lid and taking peaks though. I'll be keeping an eye to see how your porter turns out.

Back