The rise of Mr Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fusorfodder

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone else seen Mr Beer kits pop up all over the place? I noticed them in Bed, Bath & Beyond, Rite Aid (drug store chain), as well as a grocery store around here. I have never seen so many of the damned things.

It's that time of the year. They are about as common as inflatable snow globes right now. Whether or not we like them now, they have introduced quite a few people to brewing (including me) and their will be a ton of new members starting Christmas Day. Let's all remember to be nice and help out these guys and gals as they get started in homebrewing.

Never used one, but to be honest, I have never been in a Bed, Bath & Beyond, or Rite Aid. But I would be a happy camper if my local grocery store carried the beer kits.
I could pick up two kits, add a good amount of honey and make a "KICK A.." braggot in 30 minutes. (Plus fermentation, conditioning, etc).
I'm not kidding, Milk, pizza, coffee, homebrew kit, I would be sooo happy.

Long live Mr Beer! As kids we get building blocks for Christmas. They teach us the basics for building. As adults we get Mr. Beer. He teaches many of us the basics of brewing!

Just wait till the first couple of days after Christmas when all the new Mr Beer owners show up to ask their questions.

I think they made a Mr Beer forum or maybe it was Mr Beer pinned topic last year.

Just wait till the first couple of days after Christmas when all the new Mr Beer owners show up to ask their questions.

I think they made a Mr Beer forum or maybe it was Mr Beer pinned topic last year.

We have a sticky that some of us regularly help out on, that's where I put a primer on AG brewing for small batches in....with some recipes...

I saw that Cabellas has Mr. Beer kits in their Xmas catalog now. They also have a nicer kit with a carboy, etc, but it meant for wine.

Still havent been able to get my step-dad to go from Mr. Beer to 5 gallon extract kits, I dont think i ever will though.

Still havent been able to get my step-dad to go from Mr. Beer to 5 gallon extract kits, I dont think i ever will though.

If he's happy, then why bother?

I betcha Charlie Papazian never slammed MR Beer. I bet he acknowledges its role in being a gateway in this hobby...In fact I wonder how many copies of his book can be attributed in one way or another to the Old Brown Keg...Either given as gifts along side it, or the next purchase AFTER the Mr beer Kit.

I bought a Mr. Beer for Christmas in 2004 at Target and brewed my first miserable batch of beer after I made a ton of mistakes. It turned out kind of flat but was still beer and I drank the entire crappy batch. I then went up 5 gal extract brews as I was bitten by the homebrew bug. I think I may give 1 or 2 to my friends this year to see if they catch the urge to brew.

If he's happy, then why bother?

I betcha Charlie Papazian never slammed MR Beer. I bet he acknowledges its role in being a gateway in this hobby...In fact I wonder how many copies of his book can be attributed in one way or another to the Old Brown Keg...Either given as gifts along side it, or the next purchase AFTER the Mr beer Kit.
Personally, I havent tasted one of his brews that I enjoyed. He has told me he is more interested in trying to make wine. I will point him in the right direction for this, although I've never made wine.

Mr. Beer, the gateway drug of home brewing.

I think that I tossed mine out after sitting in the basement for about 2 years. I never did make it. Just went right for the good stuff.

I know a few guys who got them as gifts years ago, they didn't take care when making up their batches and both turned out horrible! I think it scarred them for life as they both wrote off the homebrewing scene since.

Homebrewing is just a fad I was told. :cross:

Anyhow I guess if your not going to take enough time even with that you might as well stay away from the real deal.

Mr. Beer can be a blessing or a curse, my dad had one and both of the beers he made were terrible, because of it he swore off homebrewing. On the other hand it got me interested in homebrewing at an early age and here I am talking about Mr. Beer.

Not to knock Mr. Beer, but if you can't make good beer, why make beer at all? It never made sense to me. Of course I was into good beer before I was into brewing it...

The point is that the WIFE buys you the Mr. Beer for Christmas. After that, the hundreds of dollars spent going AG, the weeks in the garage, the days of drunken bliss.......Thay are all HER fault for starting the obsession in the first place!! Don't you see the beauty of that deal!? :D

I have one sitting in my garage never opened. Was given to me 4 years ago for Christmas by my brother in law I had already started with dry malt extract kits from homebrewheaven . He was using the Mr. Beer up until this August when I talked my sister into buying him a starter kit for his birthday . Now he wants to go all grain

I have one sitting in my garage never opened. Was given to me 4 years ago for Christmas by my brother in law I had already started with dry malt extract kits from homebrewheaven . He was using the Mr. Beer up until this August when I talked my sister into buying him a starter kit for his birthday . Now he wants to go all grain

There's that avatar again!!:mug:

Not to knock Mr. Beer, but if you can't make good beer, why make beer at all? It never made sense to me. Of course I was into good beer before I was into brewing it...

Thing is, you can make good beer with Mr. Beer. I took 3rd in a LHBS competition with a Mr. Beer recipe. There's nothing inherently bad (or good) about Mr. Beer beer. It's simply small-scale, extract brewing.

The reason so many Mr. Beer noobs fail is they can't follow directions. They genuinely think they're gonna get drinkable beer in two weeks with the thing.

The biggest downside to Mr. Beer is the cost. Like any pre-hopped extract though, it sure is easy to toss together. Ingredients to fermenter in under 30 minutes.

Membership will jump substantially after Mr. Beer reveals himself from under the Christmas tree.

Mr. Beer got me hooked even though it was like drinking liquid bread...the farts were fantastic though.

Remember to acknowledge their desire to brew there own.
Reaffirm that Mr. Beer was where a lot of us started.
Gently suggest they look into basic HB kits from an LHBS.

Thing is, you can make good beer with Mr. Beer. I took 3rd in a LHBS competition with a Mr. Beer recipe. There's nothing inherently bad (or good) about Mr. Beer beer. It's simply small-scale, extract brewing.

The reason so many Mr. Beer noobs fail is they can't follow directions. They genuinely think they're gonna get drinkable beer in two weeks with the thing.

The biggest downside to Mr. Beer is the cost. Like any pre-hopped extract though, it sure is easy to toss together. Ingredients to fermenter in under 30 minutes.

Congrats, thanks for proving what I've believed all along, it's not the method, it's the brewer who makes great beer. :mug:

That's the point why SOME OF US rather than just diss the keg, actually help people on the MR beer Thread to make better beer. To teach instead of just putting it down...or making jokes about it. But nah, it's more fun to make jokes and trash something than it is to actually contribute what you know, to actually help somebody...

It doesn't take much to turn even one of those canned extract kits into a decent beer...with some proper information..

Hell, I just tasted a year old mr beer modded recipe, the last one I ever did using any of the mr beer lme (I think it was the california common)...With some crystal steeping grains, a couple pounds of amber (or maybe dark) Dme, and ounce of hops, a can of pumpkin which I had roasted in the oven, some brown sugar and mollases, and some spices, plus the knowledge I had gained from books and from on here, I made a decent Pumpkin Porter, which a year later, I would stack up with some of my best brews, including the partigyle pumpkin porter I am drinking now....AND i bet if I handed it to any of you haters you'd probably think it was a pretty good pumpkin beer yourself....

I'll say it again...it's not the ingredients, it's not HOW you brew, it's not WHAT you brew, nor is it what you brew with, it's the brewer that makes good beer.

You all diss it, even those who started with it...but don't forget one thing...when you made your one or two f-d up batches, you didn't know **** about brewing....and you followed the instructions (just like the people who follow the instructions on the Cooper's kits)..I betcha if you went back and brewed one of those kits, now, with everything you've learned SINCE you got that kit...I betcha you'd make a decent beer too...SO rather than blame MR Beer, why don't you look back at yourself as the rank amature you were back then, and maybe blame some of it on yourself as well, or cut Mr Beer some slack...

And at least to impart some of your wisdom to someone who got one of these with the anticipation of making good beer...Many of Those people that I first met and helped on that thread, are regular contributors on HBT now...and some are quite happy with the little brown jugs, and the beer they make...so why not support your fellow brewers?

But nah, it's waaay more fun to be EAC, or to hate than it is to help, isn't it???

Originally Posted by springer
I have one sitting in my garage never opened.

Hey, springer...

I've never even seen a Mr.Beer kit, other than online.

I live in a dry county, surrounded by dry counties!

Would you consider selling that neglected kit of yours?

I'm mainly interested in having the fermenter to add to my fermentor arsenal. A two and a half gallon bottle could be handy to have when making country wines from odd sized amounts of fruits.

Pogo

i honestly thought about snagging one of these, to make small batches of beer, or to try some others. I think that good beer can be made with one of these, as Revvy has said all along. I already have a standard home brew kit, but am seriously thinking about getting one of these.

I know a few guys who got them as gifts years ago, they didn't take care when making up their batches and both turned out horrible! I think it scarred them for life as they both wrote off the homebrewing scene since.
…
I think the biggest error MrBeer does, is not emphasizing the importance of temp control during fermentation. I know my first few failures almost turned me off to brewing. Glad I found this place.

Plus like Revvy said, my last MrBeer batch was a modified Porter. It wound up as a Robust Honey Barrel Porter and is VERY nice.

i honestly thought about snagging one of these, to make small batches of beer, or to try some others. I think that good beer can be made with one of these, as Revvy has said all along. I already have a standard home brew kit, but am seriously thinking about getting one of these.
It's pretty common for the Brewing Keg to be on sale (like now) for $10 bucks.

Anymore I do small batch all grain in mine. They work good to stick a small batch (1 keg) or 5 gallon batch (2 kegs) lager in the fridge for a while. (Talking secondary here)

I've just seen a ad for them in the local newspaper, its surprising to see them in the Dunham's ad. It includes the fermenter, ingredients for first batch(i assume its for one batch), and several 2 liter bottles for $39.99(orig. $60, lol). I kinda thought that was expensive, being that I got mine 2nd hand w/just the fermenter and a ingredient kit for $20...

Does come in handy for small batches but I hope to pass it along to someone in hopes that they get involved with home brewing. Maybe white elephant gift for Christmas Party?

It's pretty common for the Brewing Keg to be on sale (like now) for $10 bucks.

Anymore I do small batch all grain in mine. They work good to stick a small batch (1 keg) or 5 gallon batch (2 kegs) lager in the fridge for a while. (Talking secondary here)

just bought it! hey, quick question for yah. Would it hurt buying the clear one, so i can see whats going on inside???? Or, is the "no light = better beer" theory apply here also? I just noticed people do them in glass carboys...

I am glad that Mr Beer is around because w/o it I might not have started this hobby. Before my first Mr Beer batch had finished frementing I was already reading this forum and jumping into 5 gallon extract batches. Now 18 months later I have about 15 extract/pm batches done and over 20 all grain batches done and a 4 tap keezer unit built.

I might never use Mr Beer again but its started one of my favorite hobbies (obsession really.)

Latest posts

Back