Problem with a leaky gas in post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This past weekend I tried using a "reconditioned" keg for the first time only to find that when the gas quick disconnect is connected to the gas in post that there can be a small CO2 leak if there is any slight movement in the QD post connection. I did not notice this at first but yesterday when I went to try drawing a beer my 20 lb CO2 tank was empty. I have tried several different QD on this gas in post and the slightest movement will cause it to leak. Thus, I am going to have to tear this apart and look for what might not be working. The keg came pressurized so I assume it would be OK to use.

Any suggestions on what I might look for to find the source of the leak in the post? Should I jump/transfer the beer in this keg to another keg before trying to work on the post?

I forgot to mention that I had changed all of the o-rings prior to use and that the keg holds pressure just fine when there is not the gas QD attached. I just put a new o-ring on after reading your reply to double check this and there is still the same leak when I slightly move/rotate the QD on the gas post.

I checked the screw clamp on the hose connection to the QD and the mounting of the stem on the gas input to see if it is tight and they were just fine. I assumed it must be soemthing with the post or inside the post because I tried 3 different air-hose lines with separate QD and all showed some leakage.

I do appreciate your suggestions of things to check because I am fairly frustrated with this problem since I had my CO2 tank refilled a month ago only to have this problem show up again. Good to be complete with things to check. There is no LHBS within a reasonable driving distance to take the keg to for their advice. The cost of the gas woulb probably be near the replacement cost of the keg. Thus, all of my keg supplies are bought online.

I tear apart the post tomorrow.

Thanks

Found out it was a bad poppet that has a crack in the plastic ring surrounding the metal top. Think I will take all my future kegs apart before using them. A $3 part cost me over $25 of wasted CO2.

Found out it was a bad poppet that has a crack in the plastic ring surrounding the metal top. [...]

That's a curious diagnosis, given the failure symptoms involved wiggling the gas QD and having gas escape.

Usually it doesn't matter what kind of shape the poppet is in as long as the QD is in place, as the post O-ring seals the QD so gas can't escape - even when the QD is wiggled/rotated...

Cheers!

Replaced the rings and repaired the plastic on the poppet that was interferring with the spring mechanism. Keg has been connected to a different air QD and has had no leaks for the last 24+ hours.

Thanks everyone for your advide and comments.

That's a curious diagnosis, given the failure symptoms involved wiggling the gas QD and having gas escape.

Usually it doesn't matter what kind of shape the poppet is in as long as the QD is in place, as the post O-ring seals the QD so gas can't escape - even when the QD is wiggled/rotated...

Cheers!
Sounds like post o-ring needs to be replaced as well.........my.02

Back