Ommegang 3 Philosophers Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolus14

Reaction score
I currently have 4 bottles, one from each of the last fours years, and will be getting one from this year next month. I have been saving them for when my brother and his wife are home for Christmas and this year they're coming out for Thanksgiving, close enough :)

So, I'm planning to do a tasting of all 5 bottles, question is should we do them side by side or spread the tasting out over a couple days? Should we do the 5yr old bottle first and work towards newest or the opposite?

I'm sure there will be other drinking involved so I just don't want to randomly throw back a 5 yr old bottle after we all have a buzz going.

I want this to be an enjoyable appreciation of this great American version of a Quad. He also lives outside Wichita so he has visited Boulevard Brewing a few times and has sample their full line which includes some of the best rated American Quads and BSD's so should I be selfish and enjoy these by myself?

3 Philosophers is a great beer. I wouldn't have any reservations about sharing it with a fan of the style.

When doing similar vertical tastings, I've started with the newest and worked back. It makes it easier to understand how the beer develops with age when you start with the fresh product.

Maybe you can involve another person or two so everyone is getting more reasonable sized samples and not getting half-loaded by the time the last bottle comes around?

There will likely be at least 4 people involved, up to 6 if a couple others want in.

Makes sense to start with newest and work to oldest.

I think that's a manageable amount.

Hell, a 5-year old 3 Philosophers sounds awesome. Maybe I'll show up. :D

Everyone should have 5 sample glasses with a labeling system to know which glass is which year. Side by side tastings are awesome

Back