Conical Project - Feedback Requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McTarnamins

Reaction score
I designed this side by side 7 gallon SS conicle system. The drawings are at the machine shop but I still have time to make changes. Any suggestions by current conicle owners???

It has a polycarbonate lid that will allow me to watch all the fun going on inside. Destaco clamps push the lid into a silicon gasket. 3/4 NPT threads on the lid for pressure fittings or blow off tube. The frame is tube SS. Instead of one big conicle, I went with 2 smaller ones that will allow me to do some experimentation on split batches.

conicle project.JPG
conicle project 2.JPG
conicle project 3.JPG

I do not own a conical so I can't offer any advice, but I will tell you that your design looks freaking sweet!

I do not own a conical, but if I were contracting someone to build this I would ensure the legs are high enough for racking directly to the keg. Also, are you certain that the two clams are enough for a good seal?

Cool design.

Ryan_PA said:
Also, are you certain that the two clams are enough for a good seal?

Cool design.

No, I certain a good seal needs far more than two clams to maintain a healthy diet. =)

seal.jpg

:cross:

-D

Llarian said:
No, I certain a good seal needs far more than two clams to maintain a healthy diet. =)

:cross:

-D

*chuckle*

tragic, this post is already off topic.

still funny though.

kvh.

My biggest concern with a single piece this large is the inability for temp control. I'd rather have each conical on it's own compact stand that would fit into a fridge.

I suspect you could go with a ringed tripod design using much smaller stock and have each on their own stands. Much more flexibility IMHO.

It's hard to tell by the design, but each of the conicals can be removed from the stand. I have a spare fridge that I can put one into on a smaller stand for lagering. I have a basement that is always 62-68° so it is perfect for ales. My idea for two 7 gallon fermenters was for side by side testing. Split worts, different yeast, etc....

To answer another question, I traded some other hardware to the machine shop owner for some fabrication work so I do not know the actual cost. My estimate would be around $1200 for complete fabrication. I bought the fittings, gaskets, and other ancillary components. If you want the drawings, send me your e-mail and I'll give you the drawings for free. You can just give them to any machine shop and they can make the conicals. Not really cost effective, but it was the best option for me since I traded some other hardware. Plus it was fun to design my semi-ultimate system. I am a mechanical engineer but I do freelance design and drafting on the side.

I have actual pictures that I will post soon. It looks friggn awesome IMHO.

Thanks for the input.

My biggest concern with a single piece this large is the inability for temp control. I'd rather have each conical on it's own compact stand that would fit into a fridge.

Glycol, tubing and a freezer for the glycol reservoir. There was a sweeeeet design in Zymurgy a few months back.

Claudius, your brewery pics are awesome. I'm sure few homebrewers setups can compair. I used to have time to design and build when I was back in an engineer role. Now I'm a corporate guy and have to spend time thinking about how to save time......hence brew in a bag.

Back