Steeping and carboy questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonabb

Reaction score
I'm brewing a hefe recipes that calls for a 20 minute steep of a half pound each of carapils and pilsner grains. Does this seem too short? I thought an hour was what to do?

Secondly, got my first glass carboy! I don't have a solid stopper, forgot to buy one, just have one with a hole for the airlock. How do I aerate the wort real good before pitching?

One more questions.... my scales busted. Any suggestions for measure 5.6 lbs. of DME from two 3 lbs bags?!!!! Is there a one cup = x lbs. ratio!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zonabb said:
One more questions.... my scales busted. Any suggestions for measure 5.6 lbs. of DME from two 3 lbs bags?!!!! Is there a one cup = x lbs. ratio!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Measure one of the 3 lb bags in cups. Once you know how many cups you get from 3 lbs you can measure out 2.6 lbs from the other bag.

i usually do a 30 minute steep. you're just doing it to get flavor and color, you're not extracting sugars, so you don't need any longer...try to keep your steeping water at about 150-160 and steep in 1-2 quart of water per pound of grain. it'll give you the best taste that way ;) dont squeeze the grain bag

carboy can be aerated by topping off with tapwater (if it's clean) or simply shaking the carboy (shake it several times for a couple minutes over a half hour's time IMO) this will also mix it up nice so you can take a good reading before you pitch your yeast.

arturo's got the right idea with measuring

zonabb said:
I'm brewing a hefe recipes that calls for a 20 minute steep of a half pound each of carapils and pilsner grains. Does this seem too short? I thought an hour was what to do?

Palmer recommends 30 minutes in "How to Brew" http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter13-2.html

And I don't think steeping pilsner gets you anything...it needs to be mashed to contribute anything.

they say munich can't be steeped, but i use it all the time and it still imparts flavor. i think that "needs to be mashed" thing just means that it doesn't have the enzymes to break down its own sugars, but yes...you will still get flavor off of it.

so no its not like a mash unless you did a partial mash and added some 2-row so all the the sugars could be extracted from it.

I would steep around 30-40min. As far as measuring the malt....hell what is .4lb of extra. Make a stronger beer:D

DeathBrewer said:
i usually do a 30 minute steep. you're just doing it to get flavor and color, you're not extracting sugars, so you don't need any longer...try to keep your steeping water at about 150-160 and steep in 1-2 quart of water per pound of grain. it'll give you the best taste that way ;) dont squeeze the grain bag

carboy can be aerated by topping off with tapwater (if it's clean) or simply shaking the carboy (shake it several times for a couple minutes over a half hour's time IMO) this will also mix it up nice so you can take a good reading before you pitch your yeast.

arturo's got the right idea with measuring

I've heard the Don't squeeze the grain bag bit before. Can anyne tell me why? It seems to me that sqeezing it would just release more flavor and get more of the liquid back in before adding to the boil.

When I use extracts/specialty grains I almost always steep for nearly an hour, at different temp conditions and times. Yeah, 20 min seems too short to do anything really useful with the grain starch/enzyme breakdown.

As for the DME, just use it all. It will only give the beer a bit more body, and potential alcohol, and certainly not by much.

My 2C

5gB

New2HomeBrew said:
I've heard the Don't squeeze the grain bag bit before. Can anyne tell me why? It seems to me that sqeezing it would just release more flavor and get more of the liquid back in before adding to the boil.
You are right in your assumption about flavor, but squeezing grains adds tannins from the husk that lead to astrigent flavoring that will ruin your brew. You don't want that.

Just let it drip like with a tea bag then go feed the birds.:D

Trust us on this. DON'T squeeze. ;)

Back