SN Ruthless Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divrguy

Reaction score
Have a question about a rye extract kit that I need help with. The other day I tried my first ruthless and man I really like this beer. For me, my palette really picks up a peppery taste. My question is, I'd like to make a northern brewer rye extract kit but I hate the taste of rye bread ....so I don't know why this rye beer doesn't taste anything like rye? Or is rye in bread different?

The other day I tried my first ruthless and man I really like this beer. For me, my palette really picks up a peppery taste not rye. My question is, I'd like to make a northern brewer rye extract kit anyone ever tried one of those? Weird thing is, i hate the taste of rye bread ....so I why do I love this ale? Are the baking rye taste different than the grains in brewing? Will I hate the rye extract if it tastes more like rye?

Rye is a grain that closely resembles wheat or barley, but has that more distinct peppery characteristic. Rye bread tends to have added ingredients, such as Caraway seed, which gives it that interesting flavor. I am not a fan of rye bread with caraway, but without it I could eat it for day's. As for beers, Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye is one of my favs due to that extra bite that the rye grain produces.

If you like the Ruthless Rye - doesn't that sort of answer our question? That was my first (and only) exposure to Rye in brewing and also has inspired me to try one of the NB rye extracts in the future.

That is what rye imparts on a beer, kind of a dry, crisp, peppery flavor.

+1. That peppery note you are tasting is the rye. I really enjoy Ruthless rye as well, it is quickly becoming one of my go to beers. I currently have a Imperial Rye IPA being dry hopped. This beer gave me some inspiration. I'm picking up quite a bit of the peppery rye flavor in my hydro samples (I went 35% rye on this one).

I plan on making NB's Rye Stout Extract someday. Rye + stout sounds like a good combo, to me!

I agree with the no caraway seeds in rye. I LOVE rye bread as long as no seeds have ever been put in it :)

So all of this time my relatives been shoving rye bread down my throat it's the caraway seeds I hate! Who knew lol

Back