Prepackaged Hopunion Hops Weigh More Than 1 Ounce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstrohs

Reaction score
I used 2 prepackaged one ounce bags of Hopunion Centennial hops this weekend. This was my first time using hops from this company. I was very surprised that 1 bag weighed 1.25 ounces and the other 1.35 ounces (weight w/o the bag). I double and triple checked my measurements by taring the scale each time. I also checked the accuracy of the scale by using weights and there was nothing wrong with the scale. I am not complaining for the extra hops, but just very surprised that the weight could be this off. Has anyone else ever encountered this issue?

I just bought 1 oz packs of hopunion Amarillo and both were a little over 1 oz. Not complaining but it could lead to messed up batches if you are supposed to use 1oz of high alpha hops for bittering and instead use 1.25 oz. I usually don't weigh the 1 oz packages.

My LHBS started selling Hop Union hops this season as well. Def over a little. Good bags,man. Smell was fantastic when we used them in the 2 ales we have fermenting now. Interesting how Hop Union calls them "raw hops",& LD Carlson calls them "whole leaf" hops. The old tomato/tomoto thing...

Back