Copper Side Pickup Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
Is this OK?

I amd getting ready to add a weldless bulkhead to my kettle and want a pickup tube. I really want to keep things cheap so rather than buy a stainless pickup tube I was going to make one out of extra copper i have lying around. Is this a bad idea (especially at boiling temps)?

Here is an example:

PICT0116_Small.JPG

Thx,

John

No worries at all. I use copper in mine. There are no negatives to copper in prefermented wort. if you think about it, many of us put our copper chillers into the boil to sanitize them prior to use. Also many use copper coils in HERMS setups.

can I get in on this action too?

here is one I just put together tonight.

IMG_20101228_164017.jpg

IMG_20101228_164038.jpg

I might cut the bottom at an angle so I can get more wort out of the keggle.

-=Jason=-

Copper, in small amounts, is actually a yeast nutrient. So that tube is better than stainless :) I am not a metallurgist, yadda yadda, but John Palmer is and he asserts that it's 100% safe as long as you keep it clean. Clean meaning no dark spots. If you have a stain PBW won't clean off, don't brew with that piece til it's clean because you could get poisoned. But if it's clean, copper is good to go and beneficial to your beer.

Edit: He suggests PBW for routine cleaning, and products that specifically have "copper" in the name for bad spots.

can I get in on this action too?

here is one I just put together tonight.

IMG_20101228_164017.jpg

IMG_20101228_164038.jpg

I might cut the bottom at an angle so I can get more wort out of the keggle.

-=Jason=-

I guess you used a brass fitting inside the kettle? I want to do something like that. Didn't know if brass was ok. Tried to get a hop stopper but can't get a response from the seller.

yeah its all brass even the ferrel thingy is brass.

and yes brass is ok inside of the keggle. I wasn't about to spend $20 on a SS compression fitting when the brass is going to work just fine.

-=Jason=-

Back