'Brew-off' competition!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markcurling

Reaction score
A couple of months ago I arranged a brew-off with a bunch of mates and it's happening this Saturday night. Four of us have brewed our finest beers and are getting together with a few of happily volunteering mates to taste them all and judge who's is best!

Anyway, I just thought I would consult this forum for some views on judging criteria!

I like to have it split into several categories because then it's much more fun when we go through reading out each others comments for each category. My current thinking is something along the lines of...

Appearance score/5
Aroma score/10
Flavour score/10
'Likeness to form' (based on name and brief description of the beer) score/5

Total score/30

What do you think? Can anyone suggest better categories? I was thinking of perhaps shifting the max scores to 5, 5, 15, 5 to give emphasis to flavour? (appearance is purposefully low because some people have to bring bottle conditioned beers on the train!)

Let me know what you think!

A couple of months ago I arranged a brew-off with a bunch of mates and it's happening this Saturday night. Four of us have brewed our finest beers and are getting together with a few of happily volunteering mates to taste them all and judge who's is best!

Anyway, I just thought I would consult this forum for some views on judging criteria!

I like to have it split into several categories because then it's much more fun when we go through reading out each others comments for each category. My current thinking is something along the lines of...

Appearance score/5
Aroma score/10
Flavour score/10
'Likeness to form' (based on name and brief description of the beer) score/5

Total score/30

What do you think? Can anyone suggest better categories? I was thinking of perhaps shifting the max scores to 5, 5, 15, 5 to give emphasis to flavour? (appearance is purposefully low because some people have to bring bottle conditioned beers on the train!)

Let me know what you think!

Why not use BJCP scoresheets, and judge it that way? You can read the style guidelines, and use the scoresheets, and that will be like a real competition!

Scoresheets: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCP_BeerScoreSheet.pdf
Guidelines: http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/

Make sure to include a score for "sexiest" beer. Cause you know at the end, the later beers are going to score higher. You'll have judges tasting and saying, "oh yeah, this beer is the best! I'd love to take this home with me right now. I'd treat this beer right! Come on, baby, wanna come home with papa? You KNOW you do!"

Stuff like that.

A couple of months ago my church had a class on homebrewing beer. On May 29th we have our first homebrew tasting contest at church. There will be 16 entries and the judging will be in accordance with the AHA rules.
Winner will get a 1st place "Suds Award" plaque and a gift certificate to "Homebrew Headquarters" in Richardson, TX.
This promises to be fun.

A couple of months ago my church had a class on homebrewing beer. On May 29th we have our first homebrew tasting contest at church. There will be 16 entries and the judging will be in accordance with the AHA rules.
Winner will get a 1st place "Suds Award" plaque and a gift certificate to "Homebrew Headquarters" in Richardson, TX.
This promises to be fun.

The thing that really catches my attention is "My Church".. Now I need to find a church like that. :D
Instead of telling me I can't drink, a church that will show you how to make your own. :D

I guess I should have said our church, even though I consider it "my" church.
We also have "range days". The local gun range opens early just for our church and we have the range to ourselves for two hours before it opens to the general public. We had 40 shooters at the last range day.
BTW, no where in the Bible does it say not to drink and Jesus actually changed water into "fermented" wine.
We are forming a Homebrew club in the church. Much fun!!

Don’t forget, it has to be a blind tasting. Have a neutral person assign numbers to the beers so no bias clouds the judgment.

Quick question: did you all brew the same style? Everyone has different favorites so that might influence score cards.

No we didn't all brew the same beer and some may have preferences there, but it is just a fun thing anyway. All beers must be in brown, longneck, smooth bottles with no identifying labels or features. Judges will go by numbers. Competitors are ask to bring two bottles for the judges and also some to share with the spectators. Most all of the cometitors are bringing a case (24).
This is our first attempt at this and hopefully we will have many more.

I guess I should have said our church, even though I consider it "my" church.
We also have "range days". The local gun range opens early just for our church and we have the range to ourselves for two hours before it opens to the general public. We had 40 shooters at the last range day.
BTW, no where in the Bible does it say not to drink and Jesus actually changed water into "fermented" wine.
We are forming a Homebrew club in the church. Much fun!!

Can't wait to move out to a real state. :D lol

Out of 16 beer entries I won 1st place!! We also had a chili contest running with the beer contest. I won 1st place out of 13 entries! Unbelievable! This has been a good day!

Back