The Mash/Lauter tun???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Veterans of homebrewing take it easy on me!!! Im sure this is a redundant question for you all but here goes..

I was looking on wikipedia on lautertun . There was a three teir system that is called German sparging.Hot water on top, grain in the middle , Boil pot at the end.

My question is in the middle ,which i assume is the zapap lautertun, Are the grains in the middle held at the 170degree or lower mark prior to that process.?? Or is that it? hot water held about an inch above the grain bed and water going into the middle going out to the boilpan at the same rate...

Veterans of homebrewing take it easy on me!!! Im sure this is a redundant question for you all but here goes..

I was looking on wikipedia on lautertun . There was a three teir system that is called German sparging.Hot water on top, grain in the middle , Boil pot at the end.

My question is in the middle ,which i assume is the zapap lautertun, Are the grains in the middle held at the 170degree or lower mark prior to that process.?? Or is that it? hot water held about an inch above the grain bed and water going into the middle going out to the boilpan at the same rate...

You are asking about the lauter process after the mash is over.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2980024

So this process is for efficiancy? after mash is over ? This is a separate step after mash to extract all wort from grain?

Back