Will blueberries sink eventually?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
I just started a blueberry mead using crushed blueberries (Private Select frozen organic, from Kroger). When I put them in the carboy initially they sank to the bottom with the honey, but after shaking and mixing they're floating on top. Will these sink eventually, or will I have to keep shaking to keep them from getting moldy?

Thanks in advance.

No they will sink after a while. When I did a small batch of blueberry mead I rocked the carboy every once in a while and a few sank each day. I boiled mine for 10 minutes to help break down the skins before I added them and once I added them you could see the yeast clinging to there underside.

My blueberries filled up like little ballons and floated. You have to punch down the cap a few times a day.

they shouldn't get moldy as long as you're using an airlock. all the oxygen will be displaced by CO2

Thanks for the replies. I had been using foil to allow for air exchange. Is 24 hours long enough for proper air exchange or should I leave it one more day? I was planning on capping it today.

Back