First partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonTail

Reaction score
I usually do extract/grain recipies, but today I did my first "real" partial mash. I got the "Cascade Pale Ale" partial mash kit from Midwest Supplies and changed a few things.
The kit contained:
3.3 lbs Gold LME
4 lbs 2 row
8 oz Carapils
8 oz Caramel 10L
3 oz Cascade (pellets)
White Labs California Ale 001

I mashed the grain in 1 gal of water, for 1 hour, between 165-150F.
Sparged with 1.5 gal of 170F water.
Added 2 cups (~1 lb) of extra light DME.
At boil, added 2 oz of homegrown cascade (mine), instead of 1 oz supplied with the recipe kit.
At 15 minutes left on the boil, added the LME, Irish moss, and 2 oz homegrown cascade (again instead of 1 oz supplied).
At 2 minutes left, added 1 oz cascade (pellets).
Cooled and strained into fermenter.
Topped up to 5.5 gal.
I only ended up with a SG of 1.036, the kit said should be between 1.042-1.046.
I was kind of hoping to be near or over the higher end of the range.
I figure the mash was too hot and I got less fermentables.
I'll know better next time.
I'm going to use the 2 oz cascade (pellets) for dry hopping.
Just thought I'd share with the group.
Anyone have any suggestions on procedures of the next time, I'd be glad to hear them. :mug:
Thanks,
Cheers,

You planning on having any teeth left after drinking this stuff?

I would have used the pellets for bittering and the homegrown for aroma and finish. AA levels vary from year to year, but the other oils are fairly constant.

Transfered to Secondary today and added 2 oz cascade pellets.
Tasted a small sample from the primary and it was good.
It tastes similar to a few of the high hoped ales that I have tried.
I'll try some more when I bottle next weekend. :mug:

Cheers,

I missed this thread before hence the late reply.
How did you mash the grains? Your method could have had an effect on the efficiency. 165 degrees is high so it may have deactivated the enzymes in your mash somewhat . For a pale ale I would keep the mash no higher than about 154 degrees. If your mash went from 165 to 150 you are getting a lot of heat loss. You may want to get an insulated tun as discribed in this thread.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8805
Also, you are a bit short on the water. I bet you didn't extract all of the sugars from the grains. 1 quart per pound is minimum for the mash so you should have used 1 1/4 gallons. The sparge is about 1/2 gallon per pound which would be 2 1/2 gallons. A total of 3 3/4 gallons. figure about 1/2 gallon absorbed by the grain and you end up with a little over 3 gallons in the brew pot.

Try these modifications and I think you will have much better luck.
I hope These observations help. :mug:

Latest posts

Back