New to this: bubbling for weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdok105

Reaction score
Hi,

So I started my first batch of cider, just one gallon in a glass jug, about 4 weeks ago. It's in the secondary stage right now with some cinnamon, allspice, and cloves. However, I've been noticing that it is still bubbling, not a lot, but definitely noticeably. It's been staring at me shouting :tank: "drink me", especially since my closet now smells delightfully of mulled cider, and I'm trying to hold off as long as possible to get the best results, but I'm wondering if it's time to bottle it and age it rather than keep it in the fermenter. I want it to be of a good alcohol potency, so should I wait until the bubbling stops completely or just do it now?

I used pasteurized unfiltered apple juice, S-04 ale yeast with nutrient, and a bunch of honey/agave syrup/cane sugar (not exactly sure how much, not over the top but I definitely beefed it up, like I said this is my first attempt). I started it about four weeks ago.

Thanks!

What you can do is use a hydrometer and take readings and wait until the reading is consistent over three days. If you have no hydrometer then wait another few weeks at least until the bubbling stops or it could blow the bottles on you.

I would say take hydro readings to know when it is done. Three days or more at the same gravity and you should be done, unless your fermentation is stuck... doesn't sound like it though :mug:

It would really help us if you would be able to at least guess how much honey, agave, and sugar you used. If you used a lot, it will be quite strong, and I can't imagine you only added a tiny bit since you added three different varieties of sugar.

The more sugar you add, the higher the alcohol percentage, often times less apple flavor, and definitely the more aging time required. Never ever bottle a cider if it is still bubbling from fermentation, especially if you don't own a hydrometer. It could have been a slow ferment, and if there is still a decent amount of sugar left, you could end up with bottle bombs which are quite dangerous.

Interesting. Well the reason I used three different sweeteners is that I ran out of honey, so went to agave, ran out of that, so went to sugar. I predict a cup total or maybe a bit more. I had not idea how much was the right amount, but I figured, more sugar + yeast = more alcohol = more :drunk:.

I just noticed today that the rate of fermentation is actually starting to increase, since the vapor lock is showing much more activity, there are many more bubbles rising, and a small layer of foam, probably due to the increased bubbling, has formed at the top. Is this normal? I suppose I'll just let it go for a bit longer and bottle it when it's not fermenting any more.

Back