Had a yeast starter shower last night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewfZX7

Reaction score
I pitched the yeast from my very first starter I ever made last night. I had made the stater the night before in a one liter bottle that has the resealable ceramic top attached. I had it sitting overnight with foil over the top, as I learned to do on here.
I figured I would just pitch the whole bottle without decanting. I wanted to mix it a little before hand so I sanitized the top, closed it, turned it upside down and gave it swirl. I immediately turned it back upright and popped the top.

Blam! The top blew off with amazingly loud pop and my ceiling got nice shot of yeast, which then proceeded to drip on my head. After I got the stupid look off my face I pitched the rest and the brew seems to be fermenting nicely today and my hair seems extra healthy also.

Oh man, that's classic... :ban:

I use 1.5L or 1/2 gallon jars for my starters. I wouldn't invert them to get the yeast slurry back into suspension, just decant most of the spent wort/beer, leaving enough to grab the yeast cake... Then give it a good swirl to grab the yeast up and pour into the primary. Very easy to do, and no yeast hits the ceiling...

Bet you won't do that with your second starter...

I use a stirrer for my starters. I make the starter, chill for 24-48 hours then decant leaving a bit of beer. Then I place it back on my starter stirring it as it comes up to temperature. works really well :)

Oh man, that's classic... :ban:

I use 1.5L or 1/2 gallon jars for my starters. I wouldn't invert them to get the yeast slurry back into suspension, just decant most of the spent wort/beer, leaving enough to grab the yeast cake... Then give it a good swirl to grab the yeast up and pour into the primary. Very easy to do, and no yeast hits the ceiling...

Bet you won't do that with your second starter...

Lesson learned for sure!
Definitely will decant and swirl the next time.

Latest posts

Back