Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gopher40

Reaction score
Am thinking about doing a little tweaking with my next extract recipe. It will be a Brewers Best English Pale Ale. I thought I may try dry hopping.The kit says the IBUs are 30-33, so I figure addingsome additional hops might give it a little more hop kick. This is how I figure on doing it, please let me know if this sounds right. When I transer to secondary I will throw a hop bag with hops right on top. Probably give it a week, then bottle. Question is also how many hops are customary to add for dry hopping? Should I use fresh hops or pellets? I assume fresh hops are readily available at my LHBS if I choose that route. Although I have been told pellets are just as good as whole. Also do I add similiar type that is already in the kit or experiment with a different kind of hops? Not sure if different ones would make it taste funky or not. Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm still a bit of a newbie (this is my 4th batch).

Dry hopping is a pretty straight-forward procedure. It's 50/50 for what type (pellet, whole, plug) you use, but I've found that whole hops are a major PITA to get into a carboy, so I usually use pellets.

You've got the right idea with using a muslin bag, but some people (including me) toss the hops right in and use the muslin bag to filter out any hop/trub residue when bottling, so it's more a matter of personal preference. If you end up using pellets, give the carboy a gentle swirl every few days to allow the hops to settle. Also make sure you sanitize the bag before putting it in! :)

As for the amount of hops, it all depends on the recipe. For English pale, dry hopping isn't extremely prevalent, but Fuggles or Kent-Goldings and the like would work best if you're aiming for more hop aroma. I'd say around an ounce per 5-gal batch, and 7 days is the given norm for dry hopping.

Latest posts

Back