My Second Ward Labs Report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiscBrewer

Reaction score
I imagine this shows how little I know about water chemistry, but the first sample I sent off to Ward Labs was SOFTENED water from my well. I now know that was a mistake. Below is the report from Ward regarding my UNSOFTENED water. I'd really appreciate some input regarding this report. Is this water usable with the right additions? I need some guidance. Thanks!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443734031.241684.jpg

Your magnesium and hardness/bicarbonate/alkalinity are high enough that I'd only use this water by diluting.

Also, while your chloride and sulfate are low enough; any additions of gypsum and/or CaCl to bump those to appropriate levels also going to get your calcium levels to the higher end of where you want that.

At a minimum, I'd dilute 50/50 with DI/RO to cut that magnesium, but you'll still need acid to get to proper mash pH due to that alkalinity.

Plug your profile into Bru'n water, and play around with what you'll need at 50+% dilution.

Thanks AZ_IPA! I was afraid I'd need to dilute. Given that, I think I'll just go with all RO water with some additions. It seems simpler to me. Thanks again.

Back