My First Brett L beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrewtherooster

Reaction score
Got this going right now:

7# 2-Row Pale Malt
2.5# Rye Malt
.5# Caramel 90
1# Black Barley

Mashed at 154F for 60 mins
Rose temp to 166F for 30 mins

Got 70% efficiency (I'm doing BIAB, and I'm just starting to get my process down) and hit 1.052.

1oz. Northern Brewer 10%AA @ 60 min.
1oz. Northern Brewer 10%AA @ 30 min.

Pitched a half-gallon starter of Brett L. It fermented like crazy for a few days, then died off. It's still slowly working, but I got curious and thieved a sample. It's at 1.018, and it's got a nice spicy, smokiness to it. It's way different than anything I've tasted before right now, but it's got a ways to go. I'm thinking about racking it onto some pomegranate molasses when I transfer it to secondary. Maybe some sour bottle dregs too.

Anyone have good success with Brett L beers?

Sounds like you used White Labs Brett L? The Wyeast is much more cherry/fruit in my experience. My friend did a similar beer (a stout anyway) with WY Brett L that was really good.

I did use the White Labs strain, and it's really weird.

I went ahead last week and decided to move the beer to a carboy with 10oz. of pomegranate molasses in it and the dregs from a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire. It's formed a nice pellicle, and I sampled it this past weekend because I was too curious. Tart up front, going into spicy/roasty/horsey characteristics in the back. Very unique! Now I'm going to let it sit for a good long time.

Latest posts

Back