blew air lock out sometime today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danger831

Reaction score
air lock blew off carboy some time today foam crud all over everything airlock laying on the ground.How bad is this is by beer in trouble should I worry about contamination?

From what I've read on this board, if you blow an airlock, then there's enough gas escaping that you don't have to worry too much about anything getting in.

sounds like you've got some good action going...what kind of beer did you make?

If he's OK minus a bit of a mess then a related question: Is there any reason not to put the primary under a vented cardboard box? This would let CO2 escape and keep the temperature stable, but contain the mess if this were to happen again. Since I have to keep my primary inside due to the Northern CA weather I know the first mess I make will cause major problems with my wife.

Use a blowoff tube during the first days of fermentation and it will ease your mind greatly. Two out of the last three batches I've brewed have blown off, and I'm sure glad not to have to clean up the mess.

If he's OK minus a bit of a mess then a related question: Is there any reason not to put the primary under a vented cardboard box? This would let CO2 escape and keep the temperature stable, but contain the mess if this were to happen again. Since I have to keep my primary inside due to the Northern CA weather I know the first mess I make will cause major problems with my wife.

I always use a blow off hose for the first 48 hours, then switch to a lock after things seem settled down. Cheap insurance.

If you are going to use a bucket with a sealed lid and air lock, do you still have to worry about this or is it only with the 5 gallon carboys?
Thanks
-Chris

If you are going to use a bucket with a sealed lid and air lock, do you still have to worry about this or is it only with the 5 gallon carboys?
Thanks
-Chris

The bottleneck of carboys is the main culprit. I've had a6.5 gal carboy blow like a volcano. If you do primary in a 5 it's a given for most beers that you'll blow off. Buckets usually are ok- especially if they're the ones designed for fermenting. (wider, bigger than 5 g)

wow quick responses thanks I sanitized the air lock replaced it and cleaned up it was on the work bench in the garage so not to bad but it did hit the ceiling . its Irish red

you be fine. i had foam caming out from my airlock in a plastic bucket that i got with my starter kit. air lock didin't get blown out just a fomy mess i ges yeast tryed to "make a run for it".make sure that that air lock is in little tighter next time!

As an aside, cats love the blow-off solution!
Just yesterday morning, i woke up to a clogged air lock with the tell tale signs of pending doom...a little "gunk" on the floor and SWMBO tapping her foot.
I installed a blow-off tube and after a fun time watching the cat (I hate cats) pawing at the tube with the junk flowing through it, things settled down nicely.
I think I might go over board though, I use hose clamps on all of my "attachments"...carboy cap, air lock, etc. It just makes me feel like there is less chance for something getting into my beer.
That's just me.
Greydog

Thanks
-Chris

It has to do with head space more than vessel shape, size, or material makeup. You need enough headspace for the krausen to develop nicely, probably 5"-6" without worrying about blow-off for average ferm's (this is assuming a healthy fermentation). If you re-pitch, give it even more space.

make sure that that air lock is in little tighter next time!

Although it's unlikely, forcing the bung in supertight could actually cause a carboy to shatter. If the airlock becomes clogged and it's wedged tightly in the carboy, pressure could build and exceed the allowable load of the carboy. Remember, carboys are not built for excessive internal pressure.

It has to do with head space more than vessel shape, size, or material makeup. You need enough headspace for the krausen to develop nicely, probably 5"-6" without worrying about blow-off for average ferm's (this is assuming a healthy fermentation). If you re-pitch, give it even more space.

yeah, that's why I bought a 6.5 gallons carboy for my five gallon brew. I didn't want to lose any of it just because it got super foamy.

My last beer blew the lid off my bucket! It was at a friend's house and we're not sure how long the lid was laying on the floor, but the beer seems to have turned out ok. I bottled it a week and a half ago, and I couldn't detect anything off about it. I think with the alcohol content and the CO2 blanket on top of the brew, you'll be fine. Also, once the yeasties have taken over, there isn't much else that can get in there and survive.

Back