Thermometer in boil kettle bulkhead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If I were to install a thermometer in my boil kettle's 2nd bulkhead, do I need some sort of heat shield to protect the thermometer from the heat wash of the propane burner?

I have added a whirlpool attachment to my IC would like to monitor the cooling process without constantly lifting the lid and dipping a thermometer in the wort.

Depends. Is the thermo one that's going to melt? How much heat are you getting up around the kettle where that fitting is?

If heat is a problem where you plan to mount the fitting for your thermometer simply mount a heat shield as you suggested. If you plan to use a weldless fitting simply fashon a shield out of some roofing flashing with a hole the size of the fitting and place it between the fitting and the kettle.

Depends. Is the thermo one that's going to melt? How much heat are you getting up around the kettle where that fitting is?

I was looking at the B3 bi-metal 3" face, 2" probe bulkhead thermometer.

As far as the amount of heat wash, there is a 1/2" full port SS ball valve installed on the lower most bulkhead and the rubber coating on it's handle shows no sign of damage. This ball valve would be directly below the thermometer so some heat would be deflected by it.

Back