Brewing Lager... to make Snakebite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomH

Reaction score
Hello im new so hi everybody, great forum. Im a bit of a beginner in brewing so please excuse any mistakes.
Right so I no most people brew ale on here but im looking to make Snakebite, for people who dont know what that is, its half lager, half Cider with a splash of Blackcurrent cordial.
What would be the easiest way of doing this, Could I add apple juice at the beginning of the mixing stage? Would this work, and then could I add blackcurrent cordial when bottling it or not?
Couldn't find anyone that had done this before and thought it would be interesting if it could actually be done.

Any help would be much appreciated.. :mug::mug:

First off, welcome to the forum. It is an interesting question, and I don't think snakebites have been discussed that much here. So you are thinking about making a pre-mixed snakebite? My wife used to drink those at a bar that had woodchuck cider. I think I used to order half Harp, half Cider, but I never knew about the blackcurrent liquor.

I think to do it well, you would need to dial in a good lager recipe, and a good cider recipe individually. To do that I would brew them seperately first (making lagers can be a challenge for a new brewer, which is why you see mainly ales). One catch is that a lot of people use wine yeast to make their ciders, but if you wanted to mix yours any time prior to serving, you would have to make your cider with the same yeast as your lager. Otherwise, when you mixed them, the wine yeast would go to work on the lager and likely dry it out. I think that you can probably make a good cider with a lager yeast though. There is a thread on making ciders with many different yeasts, not sure if they tried lagering though. Once you had that down, you could probably brew them together. People make braggot (mead and beer) and cyser (mead and cider), so I can't see why you couldn't mix them in the fermenter.

I think you would have to leave the blackcurrent liquor to be added at serving time. I am thinking that it has sugar in it which the yeast would ferment, which would be bad for a number of reasons. If that is not the case though, you could add it at bottling or kegging time.

That said, I am not speaking from experience, just kinda throwing some thoughts out there. But I would be very interested in a recipe if you are successful.

Wow, great advice, thanks alot.
So I might try brewing them indivudually like suggested.
The blackcurrent isint a liqour, its a concentrated squash. I woud like to add it before bottlings, so its all pre made. Maybe use sugar free squash??

Im gona go off and hunt down a good starter kit then, and some good ingrediants.

Back