What's your fav way to sanitize tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiscBrewer

Reaction score
I use Starsan and have tried various containers to hold the the tubing. I'd like to use my wallpaper tray along with the racking caane, but the tubing wants to "escape" from the tray. How do you sanitize tubing?

I roll my tubing into a one gallon jug of star san. Before racking with it, I use my auto siphon to rack the star san into another one gallon container. Then rinse, even though that is supposed to be unnecessary.

Also, in the one gallon "tea pitcher" I store my whisk, bottling wand, auto siphon, air lock, cap, and wine thief.

I use an Auto Siphon and make up a small bucket of StarSan (about 2.5 gal). I put all tubing in the bucket along w/ the Auto Siphon. I pump the StarSan through the tubing & make sure to rinse the exterior of the AutoSiphon w/ StarSan as well.
After using I soak the tubing in B-Brite then rinse and hang to let it dry.

I use my sprayer full of star-san, spray inside the tube (prolly 20-30 sprays) plug both ends with my thumbs and keep it moving till it hits all over, then spray the outside, attach to auto siphon and let it sit for a few minutes.

If I clean the tubing, just by holding it under the faucet and running hot water though it right after use, I just use my spray bottle to run Starsan through it and spray the outside.

If I let it sit and dry out, I then curl it into the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket with Oxyclean. I make sure there are no air bubbles inside. After cleaning I use the above method to sanitize.

I use a wallpaper tray. Its about 3' long to hold all tubes, racking, etc. I hold it down with something heavy like a keg lid. Having the water on the warm side also keeps the tubing flexible.

I keep my starsan in a five gallon bucket. I stick one end of tubing in and use it like a staraw until it's mostly filled with starsan and then I quickly put the whole thing in the bucket to soak. This gets the inside and outsides proper contact time.

For my autosiphon, I use the wallpaper tray approach.

It depends on what I was siphoning. Beer and white wines are usually no problem, its gets a good rinse with water before a starsan rinse. For red wines, stouts or anytime I see anything clinging to the tubing I usually do a quick 5 minute dip in bucket or carboy I am cleaning with oxyclean, then into the wallpaper tray with warm water.

Latest posts

Back