cactus apple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmoo1302

Reaction score
as I am fairly new to the brewing addiction I wanted to do a fruit addition to my next brew( maybe a hefe, or Belgian). I live in so-cal and there is an abundance of cactus apples in and around my area, so I thought "why not". has anyone tried using this fruit before? Its flavor is rather mild, so would it actually come thru in a beer? I havent made it to ag , so it will prob. be a partial.thanks

I've never done it, but have been thinking about it for years now. Today on my ride to work I rode past at least 5 Cacti completely full of prickly pears. I think you would be on the right track to use them in a Heff, or a wheat beer of sorts, the tart acidity of the fruit would be good with them. Or a wise style sour beer would be excellent too.

I might have to raid some of these Cacti and get a few lbs for a pure, and freeze it for later. too many beers in the pipeline for me, but I'd like to hear about your experiences with them if you try some thing.

Latest posts

Back