Instead of the usual instant read thermometer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'm going to get one of these: http://www.vernier.com/probes/temperature.html (the Go!Temp)
Try to look past the fact that it seems to be marketed toward middle school science classes.

My last thermometer was the probe thermometer from target but mine mysteriously pooped out on me and I'm not the only one who has had problems with it. I was willing to give it another try, but I've also wanted to look into something that could be used for data logging. I could use this to monitor my mash tun temp, sparge water temp, or fermentation temps. It includes more data on accuracy and resolution than most storebought standalone thermometers and I think it will hold up to being submerged better. It is also very clear about its range (-20 to 110 C) and that will be perfect.

nice find! i was looking into thermocouple interfaces for computers, but got the feeling it was way out of the price range for me. 40 bucks for a usb temp probe and software sounds pretty good to em

I was just about to say it wouldn't be too appealing to me if you have to use their proprietary software with it (especially if it's geared toward kids), but it looks like they offer an SDK for it, so it should be pretty easy to tie it in to some custom software

I've used that company's other products before when I was working for the university's Chem dept. and they're not bad at all. The software could be a little finicky at times but at least the labpro sensors gave accurate, repeatable results. This was about 4 years ago, so I'd assume the software has gotten better. I've used the temp probe, colorimeter and PH meters before.

The best part would be that it graphs the temp reading over time. You would be able to see how much time you spent over or under your desired mash temp and in my case I could see what my temp rise is when trying to do a mash out.

Linc

Thanks for this post! I have been interested in something like this when I build my fermentation chamber. Then I can see how much the T changes throughout the day.

I have one I use with demos for HS Chem class. Works well and the response time is decent. I always thought it would make a good temp probe with a laptop on brewday if you wanted to take some data for extended periods. Good luck.

Mine arrived yesterday and I've been having fun with it. I'm using the software that came with it because I'm not saavy enough to do anything else, but I'm totally satisfied with it. It is very user friendly, allowing you to set the length of time for the experiment and the sampling rate. You can have the graph auto scale or you can manually set it. You can save the experiments and compare later, and it has some data analysis capability but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet (probably avg values, std dev, max and min, basic stuff). I have had the probe tucked into the wet t-shirt on my carboy taking 2 samples per minute for 24 hours. Interesting results. I can see the temperature fall and rise with every time the AC kicks on and off, and then overnight when the AC didn't have to work anymore the temperature slowly rose. That probably happened because I have the AC vent in that room opened more than all the others which keeps it a few degrees cooler than the rest of the house as long as the AC is having to run. After this experiment I'm going to see if the ceiling fan keeps it cooler by speeding evaporation or if the convection counter-acts that.

I am having some engineer fun now!

Awine.jpg

I ran the standard hot and cold calibration test today. Not only was I pleased with the results, but I found that I could recalibrate the sensor using either a 1 point or two point calibration. In other words, I could use both my ice water and boiling water and set those temperatures. So far, I couldn't be happier.

Cold Calibration.jpg

Well I realized that I didn't adjust for 150ft elevation and 30.06 inHg so I should have set it to 211.3. The good news is I can set it correctly in the morning. As long as this little guy can handle brewing conditions I'll be all set.

Wow, that looks pretty nice. And I see it even works with a mac... hmmm... :D

Did you get a chance to measure the probe dimensional info? How long is the usb cord?

7' from probe tip to usb connector. The probe itself is 3/16" x 4 3/8". They also sell one with a 100' cable, but I'm not sure if it comes with software.

wow, bought one on the spot, this looks perfect. Have you tried brewing with it yet? I am getting ready to weld some new fanciness onto my brewpot, I think I might try adding a 3/16" I.D. tube (closed on one end) about half way up so that I could stick this thing in and measure from there.

I'd strongly suggest a USB extension cable, simply to keep the computer as far from water as possible...I can see some computers getting killed with the typical issues of imperfect liquid handling that take place on some brewdays.

I picked up a 10ft and a 6ft extension cable pretty cheap online (mptools.com 13$ shipped), not sure how long this thing will allow the extension cable before it starts loosing signal and all that but I'm anxious to find out.

When you say the probe is 4 3/8" long does that include the plasic body or is that all the metal tip? it says the max temp it can tolerate without damage is 130C which makes me a little nervous... I don't expect it to get that hot, but its always nice to have a lot of room for error.

I did brew using this today. Really the only temperatures during brewing that I need this much accuracy on are the strike water and then the temperature of the mash initially. I just use the turkey fryer thermometer that came with my kit for my sparge water, monitoring how close I am to a boil, and for chilling. Anyway it worked very well for me, I was very pleased with it. I left in in the mash for 20 min just to watch the temp and I was getting a steady 152. I pulled it out after that simply because I hear that people go through thermometers quickly by leaving them in there and I'd just as soon not risk it.

The dims I gave were for just the metal probe, not the plastic handle.

On a side note, I did a 90 minute mash today and for the last 45 minutes I came across a big old blanket and decided to wrap the cooler up. When sparge time rolled around I pulled back the blanket and found that the cooler was very very warm (it isn't usually), which tells me that the blanket is making a big difference in keeping heat in. After 90 minutes my mash temp had fallen 4 degrees, so I'm hoping for less if I use a blanket for the whole mash from now on.

My first one met an untimely demise when I got the cable too close to a burner. My second one slowly got to the point where a loose connection made it harder and harder to get the thing to work, and I bought a thermapen.

Can the software handle more than one probe. I.E. one in the mash and one in the HLT for sparge.

Back