Wyeast wit, 3944, warm fermentation yet mild flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeergeek

Reaction score
I've brewed with WLP400 before, room temp (75*F ambient temperature, according to my notes) and I got wonderful yeasty flavors from that yeast. I just had my first taste of a wit I brewed with WY3944 in a water bath at room temp (75*F). Thus, I fermented a bit cooler this time assuring the fermenting beer didn't exceed the water bath temperature. Regrettably, the yeast didn't kick much flavor this time around, even though it fermented at the top of the temperature range recommended by wyeast. Just curious if anyone has any good notes that might help me out next time I use this yeast -- I washed two half pints worth of slurry and look forward to using it again.

Thanks!

If you want the peppery type flavor, ferment lower if you possibly can. The lower you ferment in the range, the fewer esters are produced. I think that might have been the main issue with your batch is that esters pretty much negated the more pungent yeast flavors. I'm more interested in the estery flavors during the summer, so I might reuse the 3944 that I fermented with a couple of months ago at a much warmer temperature this time. The last time I used it I had it in the mid 60s and it didnt get higher than 70. Was your recipe different this batch than the last? Is your sample carbed or uncarbed? This kind of thing can make a difference in taste perception I have found.

Latest posts

Back