another starter overflow thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickman6

Reaction score
I began a starter for Wyeast 3068, first step was 1L. Everything went off well, cold crashed and had a nice layer on the bottom of my flask. Last night, I decanted and added in 1.3L fresh wort to the yeast.

The first step barely krausened, so I thought no problem with the second. Wrong! I woke up this morning to yeast everywhere. There was a lot of slurry on the counter.

I had calculated out how much yeast I need for my 4 batches of hefeweizen, and I'm concerned I lost too much to make this work. The krausen had dropped, so I cleaned up best I could and put it back on the stirplate. Im brewing tonight, 10gal and another 10 tomorrow. This beer is for my wedding in April, and this is the only time I can brew before its too late.

So my question is- any.way to tell how much I lost? Should I just scrap it and get new yeast?

If I can avoid it, I'd rather not go spend another $30 on 4 new smackpacks. And that's if they are even available, my local joint really puts the bs in lhbs...very under stocked.

Thanks for the help!

I have nothing to add, except, a)that sucks, b) lately ive had a few starters go crazy on the stirplate. But have saved them just in time by pulling them, and turning off the plate. I'm curious as to others experiences. Goodluck.

Latest posts

Back