Help please with my water profile (EZ spreadsheet)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SankePankey

Reaction score
Does this look normal?

pH 7.9
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 331
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.55
Cations / Anions, me/L / 5.7
ppm
Sodium, Na- 38
Potassium, K- 2
Calcium, Ca- 58
Magnesium, Mg- 16
Total Hardness, CaCO3- 212
Nitrate, NO3-N -0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S- 9
Chloride, Cl- 19
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3- 279
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3- 229

I'm not understanding how everything is acceptably low, but my alkalinity, hardness, pH, and bicarbonate is way high. I can use the EZ spreadsheet to get it within tolerances for my beers, but just didn't get it and was wondering if I took the sample wrong.

I passed thru a brand new 5 micron carbon filter and let it run for about 1 minute, let it soak for about 5, let it run for another minute and then took the sample. I didn't read the directions, but that's how a Brita works, so thought it would be the same.

Does this look kosher to everyone?

Also, as per Bobby_M's video, I tried to put the spreadsheet on alkalinity from bicarbonates, but it wouldn't let me. I don't know if there is a glitch in the mac version of the file, but it would not let me choose alkalinity. (It did, however, register the right alkalinity in the plain text version, so they must be connected).

Back