Missed my OG ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Hey now Brewers,
I did my second all grain this morning. It was an AHS Rogue Mocha Porter clone. OG was supposed to be 1.051 and I ended up at about 1.043:(. I took a sample off the top of the kettle during the last minute of the boil, cooled it and took a reading. My question is would taking a sample off the top of the boiling wort be indictative of the wort in general. In other words any chance I actually have a higher OG?? Kinda like the denser wort will be at the bottom and lighter wort on top?? Thanks. Big Al

Hey now Brewers,
I did my second all grain this morning. It was an AHS Rogue Mocha Porter clone. OG was supposed to be 1.051 and I ended up at about 1.043:(. I took a sample off the top of the kettle during the last minute of the boil, cooled it and took a reading. My question is would taking a sample off the top of the boiling wort be indictative of the wort in general. In other words any chance I actually have a higher OG?? Kinda like the denser wort will be at the bottom and lighter wort on top?? Thanks. Big Al

In AG, after the boil.... the wort should be pretty darn homogenous.

Crush, mash PH, water profile, mash temp, sparge method... all can affect your eff. and OG.

it was all grain and the volume amount was dead on?? It was only my second all grain so I am still working on my technique.

Latest posts

Back