Opinions needed....Too late for an Oktoberfest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
My niece has asked me to brew her an Oktoberfest to celebrate her wedding on October 3rd. I have never brewed a lager, but I have confidence that I can pull it off. Just not sure if I have enough time.

What do you guys think?

Edit: I will be bottling.

A to the letter Oktoberfest? Yes, too late. Those should be brewed in March I believe. BUT, there are Oktoberfest like brews that you've got some time for.

HELL NO!!!!! Mine is going in next Tuesday. Even with a month in primary you still have 7 weeks of lagering available.

I think you will be fine. Assuming you brew this weekend and ferment it out for 2 weeks, you still have something like 10 weeks to lager. How will you be serving it? Kegs? Perfect. Bottles? You still have 7 weeks of lagering.

If you have never brewed a lager, can I make a couple of suggestions? You probably want a bigger starter than you usually use. Ferment at a fairly low temp (I do mine at 50F) for 7 - 10 days, then bring the temp up to about 68F for one day and then slowly drop it back down, 1 or 2 degrees per day.

I think you will be fine. There is still time. Try looking up stuff about Viennas - I believe they are just young Oktoberfests, but have pretty much the same ingredients. Or do the OktoberFAST ale, and cold condition for 6 weeks.

PLENTY of time... just get to brewin' very soon! You still have time to do it as a lager, not an ale. The longer it lagers, the tastier it will be. I didn't brew last year's Oktoberfest until late July, and it was awesome by Oktober... err... October.

-Steve

I'll be making my Oktoberfest Ale as soon as my Kolsch is done. I like to use the WLP029 yeast cake. There's plenty of time for it.

I'm making one as my first lager, of course I don't really care if I drink it in December....

If you use Kolsch yeast and ferment it around 60, it will be very close.

I do it every year.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/bee-cave-brewery-oktoberfest-ale-38880/

Sounds great. I will brew it this weekend.

So, how long should I let it sit in the primary? I usually keep all my beers in the primary for at least 3 weeks, then bottle. I do not secondary. Is a secondary needed?

Also, for the Pilsner, Belgium, German or UK??

What kind of Munich Malt? Beersmith lists 3---Munich Malt, Munich 10l, Munich 20l

I am brewing one this weekend, and have no worries about it being done for LATE October. I am just razzin', it will be fine.

Back