Taylor 3516 Digital Thermo -- too short?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvburton

Reaction score
I have one of these (http://www.webstaurantstore.com/tay...be-thermometer/6083516.html?utm_source=Amazon) and I've noticed some behaviors I wanted to confirm with the class over a few uses for AG and normal kitchen/BBQ use.

It seems that whenever I try to take a reading immediately over top of a steaming or otherwise active heat source, I get way lower temps than I would suspect. I noticed this on my father-in-law's gas grill and over top of a steaming mash. I've gone back to my nice, long, analog bi-metal I got with my initial brew kit, which reads straight on 212 when under a boil.

What I think is happening is the probe is too short, and its basically not getting a good reading b/c the bi-metal action isn't happening b/c the temp differential from top to bottom is out of spec due to the steam/radiant heat.

Make sense? I guess I'm limited to kitchen use, where I can pull things out of the oven to get away from the heat source a bit...

I actually use one of those pretty often in brewing and found mine to be very accurate.
That being said, this is my 4th digital, and it seems like Taylor products are VERY inconsistent.
Its probably not worth it for such a cheap item, but Taylor has a pretty decent warranty, and will most likely replace it no questions asked if you are having trouble with it.

My only complaint with mine is that it takes so dang long to get a reading.

Back