How are you supposed to clean a keg when it runs out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
Do you guys disassemble them completely, just rinse them with cleaner or what?

I was thinking maybe I would just fill it with star san, then hook up the co2 and flush the lines. Is this a good idea?

Just wondering what process you all use.

Im a new kegger, but when my first keg ran out i just put a gallon or so of hot water in it and shook it, pushed that through the line with co2 and then put a few gallons of starsan in it and did the same.

I rinse them out, then soak them overnight in OxyClean, rinse, then rinse with StarSan and fill. If they get REALLY nasty I will soak them overnight with PBW.

Having said that..i have been known to open a lid on am empty, fill with a keg ready beer, pressurize, and drink. But don't tell anyone...

I rinse them out, then soak them overnight in OxyClean, rinse, then rinse with StarSan and fill. If they get REALLY nasty I will soak them overnight with PBW.

Having said that..i have been known to open a lid on am empty, fill with a keg ready beer, pressurize, and drink. But don't tell anyone...[/QUOTE]

I do that too

Having said that..i have been known to open a lid on am empty, fill with a keg ready beer, pressurize, and drink. But don't tell anyone...

I do that too

me too....

I take mine apart between uses and wash them in hot water. I soak all the pieces in an Idaphor mixture before reassembling. Then I reassemble using keg lube on the gaskets and put about a gallon of idaphor mixture in the keg. Put the lid on and shake making sure to coat the entire inside of the keg. Then I forced it out with Co2 through my lines and tap. Then I let the keg drip dry for 15 minutes or so. I only use oxyclean if I still can't get the keg clean which the hot water almost always does. I find and oxyclean soak between every keg to be overkill.

First thing, I leave the keg in the fridge until I have time to clean it so bugs don't start growing, and so the beer doesn't dry up to much. Personnaly, I competely disassemble the keg. It's not too much work and gives me peace of mind that the next batch will be sanitary. 5 gallons of hard-earned beer is a lot at stake IMHO.

I rinse the keg with hot water using a kitchen spayer, then add about one gallon of hot Oxyclean solution. Scrub interior and top of keg with a carboy brush, scrub all parts with same solution. Re-assemble the keg, connect beer and gas line and discharge the oxy solution through the beer line and picnic tap using CO2. Rinse keg well with hot water. Fill keg with about a gallon of hot water and discharge through the beer line with CO2. Add about a quart of starsan solution and coat interior of keg by rolling on floor. Discharge starsan out through beer line. I store the beer line assembly in the fridge until needed to keep sanitary. The keg gets filled immediately with the next batch!

Might be over-kill, but I sleep better at night.

Proof that keggers are lazy azzes.

Isn't that why we spent the money in the first place?

I have a pretty large empty pipeline (6 taps and 20 kegs. 13 empty) right now and typically bulk clean my kegs (4 or more). I rinse it out when it kicks and usually set it aside for chemical cleaning once I have enough.

I break it down fill it with hot water, 1 tbsp PBW and an overnight soak. Rinse and invert to dry. Once dried, I close it up and pressurize it (equal to my CO2) with compressed air.

When I need a new keg, I grab a clean one. If I can open the lid witout relieving the pressure then I know it leaks and needs additional service and I tag it. Otherwise, I'll bleed it add 1 cup StarSan, close it and shake the hell out of it. For the dip tubes, I just depress the poppet and shoot StarSan down into it.

If I didn't have the cleaned lineup. I'd rinse out the empty, spritz it and fill it.

I fill it with about 2 gal of weak-ish PBW solution (which gets reused...I measure the pH), then invert the whole keg (no lid) into a bucket and place the lid/o-ring into the bucket as well. This allows the whole top of the keg (inside and out) to be submerged in PBW. I'll also manually depress the poppets to make sure they get exposed. Then a very thorough rinse (making sure to get the poppets/dip tubes/relief valve)...then about 2 gal Starsan or Iodophor (Starsan gets reused) with the sanitized lid on. Keg right side up...then upside down. Then I push most of the Starsan out using CO2 and leave the lid on with a little CO2 pressure until just moments before I fill it.

Every 4th brew or so I disassemble.

See, here is why I dont disassemble, or even clean, between each batch.

I KNOW that it is sanitary, because it was sealed and the previous batch wasnt infected obviously. I will spray the lid with Star San while I am racking into the keg, but other than that, I KNOW the inside is clean because it was just emptied, and the beer inside was sanitary.

I will disassemble and clean everything once in a while, but I dont really make an issue of it unless the keg was sitting out for a period after being emptied, or the poppets and such just seem gunky.

I am lazy...

Man, after reading through these posts I find I am way to anal on how I go about getting a keg ready for the next batch of sweet nectar. I think I'm gonna relax a little and enjoy this hobby even more now!

Man, after reading through these posts I find I am way to anal on how I go about getting a keg ready for the next batch of sweet nectar. I think I'm gonna relax a little and enjoy this hobby even more now!

Yah, I mean you rinse it with Star San to sanitize it... but the beer inside it was already sanitary, there were no bugs in there. Now, of the emptied keg was left out in the heat for a while, that is different. I leave mine in the kegerator and just refill them.

I think I have refilled my CCB Hause Ale keg several times now without cleaning. The only thing I have done is replace the o-rings on the posts since I rebuild my kegs as I go.

Yah, I mean you rinse it with Star San to sanitize it... but the beer inside it was already sanitary, there were no bugs in there. Now, of the emptied keg was left out in the heat for a while, that is different. I leave mine in the kegerator and just refill them.

I think I have refilled my CCB Hause Ale keg several times now without cleaning. The only thing I have done is replace the o-rings on the posts since I rebuild my kegs as I go.

That is not what sanitary means.

I totally understand being lazy about cleaning the kegs. I usually just soak with oxyclean overnight and then StarSan the inside and rack. If I ever made the same recipe consistently then I think I would just rack straight back into the keg, and not worry about it. Every once and awhile I will disassemble and clean out the dip tube.

Ed

me too....

Uhm, also guilty at times.

I don't like the term lazy. I belive as akeggers we are all so busy, it's a matter of time management. OK we're lazy.. :D

One raosn I get lazy is that of the beer was fine and not its gone then the keg should be all right. It is also cold in the keggerator, so bacteria growth is inhibited.

Wow, I thought I had the prize for being the laziest brewer, at a minimum I always do hot water rinse and star san treatment before refilling. I always rinse and clean as soon as they are removed from the keezer though, time and temperature are your enemy in this war on bugs.

Now I'm thinking how much hot water and star san I've wasted in the past few years. No, maybe I'll continue the current rinse sanitize routine.

Once rather than pouring 3-4 gallons of Coors Light on the ground from a half barrel that was to be returned that day, I coupled picnic taps together w/ a bit of electrical tape and transfered the commercial brew to an empty keg that had Ed's Haus Ale in it. The CL was in my keezer for about a month and a half and tasted fine...maybe even better after sitting on the dregs of the haus ale.

If there is a really nasty looking one, I'll disassemble completely and clean everything in hot water and PBW. If not, I just spray out with hot water. Either way, after I've cleaned it I fill up with 2.5 gallons of water and 1/2 oz of starsan and leave it until I need to fill it again (usually have a beer waiting for it). I pressurize a bit too, and use a picnic tap to flush out the excess star san to another keg if I've got one empty.

Hmm yeah if it look gunky on the bottom I oxy clean it. I use oxyclean as a sanitizer as well. I just rinse with hot water after.

But some beers, especially the ones that go quick, I might just throw the new beer right in.

i dont try to leave mine empty for a long period of time.

before racking into the keg, i soak it with oxyclean and water, push that through the lines, then rinse it with plain water, push that through the lines, then starsan, push that through the lines, and then beer.

maybe over kill...but i haven't had any contamination yet

Cleaning tips aside, I keep a keg full of starsan around and when I need to fill a keg with brew I just push the starsan into a (clean) keg and rack into the old starsan keg. There's a bit of starsan left, but that's supposed to be good for the yeasties :) . I use the tube used to transfer the starsan to drain out of the conical. Life's reeeeal easy with a conical and kegs!

I use star san and hot water... push it out my tap with c02, then pbw the same way. I figure it cleans my keg, it cleans my lines and my perlick.... If the beer touched it, now the cleaning solution is touching it. Saves me from having to take the keg apart each time, and having to clean the lines, because I do it after each keg.

My method is similar to one posted above, with more steps:

I first rinse the keg out with hot water to get any yeasty sludge off the bottom, and then put about two gallons of hot water in it. I then put a little pressure on it and force the water through the beer line. Once that's done, I put 2 gallons of hot water with 2 scoops of Sun Oxygen Cleaner in it, throw on a little pressure, and push just enough through the beer line that it starts coming out of the tap. I close the tap and wait 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, I push all of that out. The keg gets another rinse with hot water, and two gallons of hot water goes in it, and I force it through the beer line to clear out the cleaner. I then take the tap off, disassemble, and rinse it out, and put it back on the tower. Afterwards, I push about a gallon of StarSan solution from my dedicated keg through the line, and then pour it back into the StarSan keg when I'm done.

The empty keg just sits around with the lid open until I need to use it again. When I go to refill it, I rinse it out, take it apart and rinse the pieces to make sure nothing is left in the poppet springs, and push some StarSan into it via the liquid out post with the lid pressure release valve open. After a good shake I push the StarSan back out into the dedicated sanitizer keg, pressurize with CO2 and release a few times to purge any air still in there, and fill the clean keg. Those poppets have to be clean and sanitized as I fill through the liquid out post with the lid on (pressure release valve open) from the racking port on my Better Bottles. I always spritz some StarSan from a spray bottle on the posts and QDs before I connect to do the fill.

I do this for every keg, every time. It's more work, and I do "waste" a little CO2 doing it, but I feel secure that everything is clean and sanitized.

See, here is why I dont disassemble, or even clean, between each batch.

I KNOW that it is sanitary, because it was sealed and the previous batch wasnt infected obviously. I will spray the lid with Star San while I am racking into the keg, but other than that, I KNOW the inside is clean because it was just emptied, and the beer inside was sanitary.

I will disassemble and clean everything once in a while, but I dont really make an issue of it unless the keg was sitting out for a period after being emptied, or the poppets and such just seem gunky.

I am lazy...

And you also don't need to purge the keg with CO2 before filling it. If the keg gets nasty or the prior beer was say a Smoked porter and the next is a Pale Ale then you have to clean it . Right now I have EdWorts hefe on tap and its about ready to kick and I am brewing another patch up this weekend so I will just rack it to the keg

When kegs empty, I just store them in my basement until needed, then rinse well with hot water to remove the yeast and protein sediment until it smells clean, add a couple gallons of sanitizer, shake, and purge the sanitizer out w/ CO2.

If they get really nasty, I'll do the full disassemble and clean.

I do a full dissemble and clean but usually the kegs sit for some time in the cold box and I swap keg lines when I have more kegs than draft lines available.

Need more cobra taps in the cold box. Six faucets is never enough.

Back