Removing blowoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJCalico

Reaction score
Very generally speaking... when is it safe to remove the blowoff tube and replace with an airlock?

Just after the kraussen settles?

Take the advice above and here's why.

Over the Memorial Day weekend I brewed two batches. Each batch used half of the same yeast cake and had similar recipes. One was a wheat and one was a rye. I put blowoffs in both. They took off quick with nice thick krausens, but the rye had more wort volume in the carboy, so the blow off was necessary there. By this weekend the rye had settled down some, so I cleaned up both and put in airlocks. This morning I went down into the basement to find that the wheat was coming up through the airlock after a week of solid activity.

Why couldn't I just leave it alone :(

I brew very basic ales. for my beers, I can remove the blowoff after the krausen has started to settle.

I use dry yeasts, and so get fairly predicatable results. If I were doing anything different (like the rye above) I'd leave it for a week at least.

Back