Salt flavor enhancement???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brick_haus

Reaction score
Do you know how when you are eating a fresh cucumber or tomato, that there just seems to be that feeling like, "if I just added a little salt this thing would really taste good" ? Well, one of my recipes leaves me with that exact feeling. Almost like a little slickness on the tongue would just take it to the next level...
Should I add calcium to the water profile?
What say you?

Do you know how when you are eating a fresh cucumber or tomato, that there just seems to be that feeling like, "if I just added a little salt this thing would really taste good" ? Well, one of my recipes leaves me with that exact feeling. Almost like a little slickness on the tongue would just take it to the next level...
Should I add calcium to the water profile?
What say you?

Maybe. But remember that table salt is sodium chloride. So your question may be "should I add chloride to the water profile?"

In order to answer the question, we need to know the current water make-up. Because otherwise, adding salt to the brewing water may be like me asking you, "Does my stew need salt?". Because I may have already added salt and other seasonings, and you would have no way of knowing if it needs more or not.

One quick way to check- put some salt in the beer in your glass. If it's better, then you may want to add some table salt (not that much) in your mashing water.

Back