Good cheap recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So next im working up a 5 gallon recipe to split ingredients between 3 people to make it more economically feasible. one of the loves stouts and porters and the other doesn't like really dark but more sweet beers like wheats or cream ales. I was thinking maybe a 4% mild would be good probably. Any suggestions on a recipe? I would have to do a partial boil to do a 5 gallon batch. I really want to do a batch soon because I got a new hydrometer and a much better thermometer (was using a antique candy thermometer i had before).

So next im working up a 5 gallon recipe to split ingredients between 3 people to make it more economically feasible. one of the loves stouts and porters and the other doesn't like really dark but more sweet beers like wheats or cream ales. I was thinking maybe a 4% mild would be good probably. Any suggestions on a recipe? I would have to do a partial boil to do a 5 gallon batch. I really want to do a batch soon because I got a new hydrometer and a much better thermometer (was using a antique candy thermometer i had before).

Orfys mild. This is a 3.8% mild. Drinking it now (brewed it a few weeks ago. I was grain to glass with this recipe in a week). It is delicious and very very cheap to begin with. The recipe is for 6.5 gallons but with a few minor adjustments you can get it down to 5.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=52776

It's one of my favorites I've brewed.

I think a mild is a great option. It's kind of a blend of light and dark.

Are you all fermenting it together or separately? What about doing a big beer (like a porter) then a partigyle with the second runnings? You could potentially get more bang for your buck, but you'd have to do separate boils and fermentation.

We are doing fermentation together yeah. We have a 6 gallon and 3 gallon fermentors. A partigyle sounds like aa really good idea actually

So I currently have 5lbs of pilsner malt, 1 oz of cascade, and 1 oz of mosaic currently available to use. Does anyone have any suggestions on how i could make 1 gal of a pale ale / ipa? (Btw i love dry hopping much more than really high ibu). And then maybe make a ginger beer with light hopping and large ginger flavor. Im thinking splitting the malt so i have 2.5 lbs with each gallon. Would appreciate help specifically with amount and timing on hops schedule considering I am still a novice. Thanks in advance!!

heres what id do:

2.5 lb pilsner

.1 oz mosaic at 60
.1 oz mosaic at 15

and the cascade

2.5 lb pilsner

.1 oz cascade at 60
.1 oz cascade at 30
.1 oz cascade at 15

i dont know much about dry hopping but both of these are right around 30 ibu

For good AND cheap, I'm thinking base malt, sugar, bittering hops only and a characterful (possibly high attenuating) yeast strain. Not in reply to anyone's specific request here, but I would do something like this:

GOOD CHEAP BEER
90% base malt of choice (or light DME)
10% homemade "Deep Amber" syrup: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=114837
Warrior or other high aa hop @ 60 to 20 - 23 IBU
Yeast of choice*

* A high attenuating strain like 3711/Belle will give you the cheapest beer possible. My preference would be to use a characterful Belgian strain and medium-high body mash (154-6F). Combined with the amber syrup made from table sugar and lower bittering levels, you have one heck of a complex yet dirt cheap beer.

Back