Anyone using a 14 gallon Fermenator Conical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone is using a 14.5 gallon conical from Fermenator? It's this puppy.

E88.JPG

If you are and you have it in a fridge or freezer, I'd like to hear about the make and model of the fridge/freezer and how it is working for you.

Just ordered mine. Evidently the prices are going up on the 1st; if it is true, I didn't want to pay more. Can't wait to try it out...

EdWort said:
Not yet, just dreaming at the moment.....

Some day though!

I have the catalog from northern an Midwest. I drool over those things on a daily basis!!!

I'm drooling too. I was hoping to find someone using it and find out what they are using for temperature regulation.

It would be cool for 12.5 gallon batches. I keg it in two 5 gallon kegs and one 2.5 gallon. Hmmm. 12.5 gallons of Bavarian Hefe. Hmmmmm.

Ed,

Did anyone ever get back to you on this? I just got one and its not going to fit in my freezer. I was looking at options. Hopefully you have an answer before I start a new thread.

-Sumo

I use the B3 Ranco controller with the stopper thermowell. Seems to work well so far.

To heat, I use a FermWrap heater that I wrap around the bottom cone. I tape it on with blue painters masking tape. Temps range from 45° to 55° in my garage right now and I pushed it up to 75° yesterday to finish off a biere de garde. I haven't seen if I can push it any more than +30°.

To cool, I'll be getting an upright freezer some time over the next month or so. It'll look a lot like what Blichmann recommended on their site. I'm estimating about $100 or so on Craigslist.

I'm not really crazy about getting another fridge/freezer. I think I can get away with just the heater for ales 8 or 9 months out of the year her in Portland. But I'd really like to get back to lagers soon and maybe ales in the summer and I can't rely on ambient temperatures to get cool enough.

I'm drooling too. I was hoping to find someone using it and find out what they are using for temperature regulation.

It would be cool for 12.5 gallon batches. I keg it in two 5 gallon kegs and one 2.5 gallon. Hmmm. 12.5 gallons of Bavarian Hefe. Hmmmmm.

Well, I just popped 10 gallons of your famous apfelwein outta mine and into carboys for aging... :p

Back