Let's Talk GPS Units!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Just wanted to pass on some of my findings with GPS units....

I originally ordered a TomTom One XL from Amazon (THE best place to order from, it's way cheaper.) I ended up returning it due to poor maps/routes and a small database of businesses...but it had excellent signal and quick refresh rate...and it was really affordable at $159.

Instead I got a Garmin Nuvi 350 for $199 and it is freakin' sweet! It has an amazing database and knows really obscure/newly built addresses. It's great for finding retail businesses and restaurants....e.g. if you're craving Chinese, it'll locate all the chinese restaurants in 10 miles. This model even tells you the name of the street you need to turn on, instead of just saying "turn left". That's a pretty expensive feature on most units.

It'll even give you lat/long...if you're into Geocaching, which seems like a lot of fun.

My vote is for the Garmin.

+1 for Garmin here. I've bought three over the years. 1st one sold to the MIL(Nuvi 200) , second went to college with the daughter (Nuvi200W) and now I have the Nuvi 260W. SWMBO loves it.

I have been looking into the Garmin's.

It appears that Garmin is the only one mapping the rest of the world (aside from the UK).

I am particularly fond of the Gramin due to it's progress in available mapping for Kuala Lumpur, Melaka, Johor Baru, and Singapore.

Next time I make it out there I plan to take a Garmin along for the ride.

I've got the Garmin 350 as well, and I'm very happy with it. You're right...the database is absolutely amazing! It's great when you need to find something fast, like the nearest branch of your bank, or a gas station.

The size is also great, literally like a deck of cards. The battery lasts a long time too, my previous unit (also a Garmin) had about an hour of battery life before you had to recharge or plug it in. With the 350, I don't even bother to bring the car charger along, as I get around 8 hours of use without it.

Have you noticed how it gets mildly annoyed when you ignore one of it's route directions? When it says "Recalculating..." I swear there is a slight hint of attitude in the tone of voice!

I've got the Garmin 350 as well, and I'm very happy with it. You're right...the database is absolutely amazing! It's great when you need to find something fast, like the nearest branch of your bank, or a gas station.!

Or even if your SWMBO wants a manicure in Cincinnati while at NHC! :D

Ed, I had my eye on that 260w too...great unit. Figured I didn't really want to pay $50 more for the wide screen when the regular Garmin touchscreen is manageable. The TomTom LCD TFT wasn't as snappy so you needed more room to be able to poke it with big fingers....

The engineering on the Garmin is superior, and you can see it right out of the box. The mount stays connected to your car, and the unit itself easily detaches from the mount for easy removal. You have to completely unplug the TomTom. The 350 also comes with a wall charger and leather case, which would have been extra w/ most other companies. I wish you could changes the voices to Mr. T and Dennis Hopper like on the TomTom, but oh well...it's a better piece of gear. At least you can change your icon on the display...I'm currently going between the Flying Dutchman and a cop car. :D

+1 for Garmin. I'd used one for years for field research, along with a Trimble unit (which is more than most people need). After Trimble, Garmin is the way to go.

+1 for the Garmin...from a guy who is a professional navigator (I own three...two for the car).

Garmin is the industry standard for recreational use GPS, marine and land. I'm sure TomTom is good and all, but why buy a Ford from a Chevy dealer? Just sayin'!
-P

Just bought Navigon's basic 2100. Whine all you want. "Not a lot of POI's. Takes too long to start up." blah, blah. Here's why I got it. It was on sale for $149 & included LIFETIME TRAFFIC! I'm a sales rep in L.A. My car is 3 days away from it's one year anniversary & it has 29K on it! I pretty much know where I'm going. Need the nav functions occasionally, like when I go somewhere from a different direction.

The thing that I bought it for is to calculate the best way home in the thick of traffic. And to show me where a particular incident starts & ends. I know it sounds silly to you folks from Iowa, but the wrong freeway route here can turn a 25 mile drive into a 2 hour affair!
suicide.gif

It's a basic unit but it still says the name of the streets, shows the freeway intersections with a graphic showing how many lanes & which one to be in. All the others I considered were WAY more expense & traffic was an additional $10-12/month. 'Nuff said.

(Garmin's great but outta my budget.)

I have a tom tom one, I've had for years. Love it, but I am not knocking the Garmins at all. But when I bought my tom tom it was $300 Dollars, when the closest comparable Garmin was still $380. You know money talks... But there map is sometimes lacking.

I've had a Garmin Quest for four years. It's small enough to carry on the motorcycle and being able to stick it in my pocket can be a real time-saver when walking around. Haven't tried anything else & don't see any need to.

Latest posts

Back